HLC Visit Successful!
YSU received final notice from the HLC regarding reaccreditation in August 2018. The HLC Peer Review team found that with regards to assessment in Criterion 4B, “YSU demonstrates an ongoing commitment to educational improvement and achievement through assessment of student learning” and evaluated our practice as MET.
With the positive outcome, the Office of Assessment has decided that it is an ideal time to pause and take stock of what has served the institution well over the last ten years and determine where we can improve policies and processes, as well as direction for the next accreditation cycle. OOA spent some time over the summer revising its goals and values.
The office will schedule listening sessions with each academic department over the 2018-19 academic year, in order to gather feedback on how to improve support and use of assessment of student learning results. Departments will not submit assessment reports in fall 2018, but will be asked to continue to collect and analyze student learning data according to their existing assessment plans. Reporting will resume in fall 2019. Based on feedback from these meetings, senior leadership, and assessment reports and analysis, adjustments will be made to OOA’s mission, goals and reporting processes.
2018 Continuous Improvement Volunteer Appreciation & Poster Showcase
The Office of Assessment celebrated campus-wide efforts in continuous improvement to support student learning and student success in our Continuous Improvement Volunteer Appreciation Event and Best Practices in Student Learning Poster Showcase. Over 75 attendees gathered on April 25th in the Chestnut Room to view 26 student learning assessment and mini project posters from across campus, recognize contributions by faculty and staff to learning outcomes assessment, and to announce winners of the Best Practices in Assessment Poster Competition and Innovation in Assessment Mini-Grant Awards. Special volunteer recognition and appreciation was offered by Dr. Martin Abraham and Assessment Director Hillary Fuhrman.
- Full list of volunteers and awardees*
- Electronic versions of all posters can be viewed on the Poster Showcase and Mini-Grant Program pages
The Youngstown State University Office of Assessment coordinates and supports assessment activities across campus. We support the accreditation standards of the Higher Learning Commission by assisting faculty and staff in systematic, comprehensive assessment and improvement of student learning. The Youngstown State University Mission and 2020 Strategic Plan guides our work in building a positive culture of assessment, using of data responsibly to improve institutional practice, and using assessment to support and promote student success.
Assessment in the News
- NSSE Spotlights YSU Data Conversation Efforts (June 1, 2018)
- Grants Focus on Improving Student Performance (May 10, 2018)
- Diversity Leadership Recognition Dinner: Culture of Communication (March 28, 2018)
- Survey: Students give high marks, but still room for improvement (January 24, 2017)
- Faculty and staff achievements (January 24, 2017)
- YSU Board of Trustees meeting summary, Nov. 30/Dec. 1 (December 2, 2016)
- Mini-Grant: YSU's Long Night Against Procrastination helps spur studying for finals (November 25, 2016)
- Faculty and staff achievements (December 11, 2015)
- YSU included in NSSE Best Practices Publication (August 2015)*
- More stories...
- Assessment Reporting
- Continous Improvement Opportunities
- Student Surveys
- Assessment Resources