In February 2008, the Higher Learning Commission (HLC) site team recommended a focused visit on assessment in three years. In lieu of a visit, YSU chose to participate in the HLC Academy for the Assessment of Student Learning. During the four-year Academy, The YSU Assessment Academy Team addressed major aspects of university culture and programming, particularly related to general-education assessment.
Our participation aligned with YSU’s comprehensive strategic planning process. This initiative also enabled us to work with colleagues at related universities and to collaborate with mentors who have been through such processes. Below are the eight members that participated in YSU’s Assessment Academy Team:
- Cynthia Anderson, President, Youngstown State University
- Cheryl Bosley, Associate Professor of Nursing
- Bege Bowers, Associate Provost, Academic Programs and Planning
- William Buckler, Coordinator of Academic Advisors and Associate Professor of Geography
- Chet Cooper, Professor of Biological Sciences & Chair, Academic Senate
- Michael Crist, Chair and Professor, Dana School of Music
- Jack Fahey, Vice President for Student Affairs and Ombudsperson
- Hillary Fuhrman, Director of Assessment
- Shearle Furnish, Dean of College of Liberal Arts & Social Sciences
- Tod Porter, Coordinator of General Education & Professor of Economics
- Sharon Stringer, Professor of Psychology (Team Leader)
Academy participation culminated in participation in the 2012 HLC Results Forum, where project goals and outcomes were presented. YSU successfully graduated from the Assessment Academy in November 2012.
* This requires Adobe Acrobat Reader