Lactation Room Information:
- Campus Recreation is excited to offer a lactation room for students, faculty and staff to assist women with balancing their busy schedule and their needs as mothers of young children. The room offers a clean, secure, and user-friendly environment for women who need to express breast milk during their time on campus.
- This resource for new mothers is part of the Health Care and Education Reconciliation Act of 2010 (the federal health care reform law) which requires employers to provide nursing mothers with reasonable break time and a dedicated room to express milk for up to one year following the birth of a child. A room must be shielded from view, free from intrusion by co-workers and the public, and cannot be a bathroom.
- Use of a lactation room is optional and a nursing mother who has a private office or access to private space may choose to use this space instead of a lactation room. However, a nursing mother who wishes to use a space other than a lactation room should consult with her supervisor in order to insure the availability and privacy of the space.
- The Lactation Room is in Beeghly Room 200A, which is located at the southeast entrance of Beeghly. (Across from Andrews Student Recreation and Wellness Center.) This suite is labeled as Beeghly 200, Campus Recreation and Wellness Programming.
- An additional room is available in Cushwa Hall, Room 2504 (Dean’s Office of Health and Human Services 330-941-3321) 8:00 A.M. - 5:00 P.M., Monday – Friday. Also there is a room in Maag Library - Room 147 (Room access contact Circulation Desk 330-941-3678) The room is located in the lower level of Maag Library. The room will be available during normal operating hours of Maag Library. Please check the library’s webpage for changes in hours of operation over breaks and holidays.
CAMPUS REC LACTATION HOURS
|During the semester|
|10:00AM-6:00PM||Saturday & Sunday|
|During summer and university breaks|
|CLOSED||Saturday 7 Sunday|
- First time users are encouraged to schedule a time to meet with Campus Recreation staff to schedule a time to tour the location. Please contact Ryan at (330) 941-2207 to schedule a time.
- Each room is supplied with a table, chair and has an electrical outlet. Nursing mothers may use a campus refrigerator available near their department or bring a personal cooler to store milk. Nursing mothers are responsible for providing their own pumps and storage containers.
- Access to the room is on a first-come-first serve basis for approximately 30 minutes.
- To access entry to the Lactation Room, students, faculty, staff and our YSU guest will need to check out the key from the administrative offices at the Andrews Student Recreation & Wellness Center, during normal operating hours.
- First time users are encouraged to schedule a time to meet with Campus Recreation staff to schedule a time to tour location. Please contact Joy at (330)941-2242 or Ryan at (330) 941-2207 to schedule a time.
- A valid YSU ID or valid Driver’s License is required in order check out a key to access Lactation Room in Beeghly 200.
- Employees are permitted to use regular break and lunch times in order to nurse or express milk. Additional reasonable breaks will be permitted as needed. It is the responsibility of the employee to coordinate the need, frequency, and duration of time needed with her supervisor in a timely manner.
- Supervisors should respond in a timely manner to an employee’s request for break and lunch times. Supervisors should be flexible with an employee’s request for altering break and/or lunch times and, if possible, should allow an employee to make up any time used beyond break or lunch times.
- Questions regarding the use and location of lactation rooms and reasonable breaks should be directed to the Human Resources Benefits Office (330) 941-3360 or (330) 941-1322.