The Adult Penguin Path to Success
An academic support service for adult learners at YSU. An adult learner is any student who satisfies one or more of the following conditions:
- 25 years or older
- Assumes multiple life roles such as a parent, spouse/partner, full time employee, caregiver and student
- Returns to school after taking a break
- An active, reserve or veteran of the military
Any student, regardless of age, whose primary life roles and responsibilities exist independent of the University and take precedence over the role of student in times of crisis or stress is considered to be an adult student.
- A friendly staff of professionals and students
- Convenient office hours (Monday 8am-7pm, Tuesday - Friday 8am-5pm)
- Assistance with scheduling and registration
- Academic coaching for current and entering adult students
- Surveying and assessing adult learner needs and concerns
Academic Support for Adult Students...
- Center for Student Progress (Tutoring, Supplemental Instruction, Academic Coaching)
- Writing Center
- Math Assistance Center
University Resources for Adult Students...
- Financial Aid and Scholarships
- Academic Advising
- Office of Veteran's Affairs
- Placement Testing
- Parking Services including the Campus Shuttle
- Career Services
- Counseling Services
- Student Life including Student Employment
- Maag Library
- Andrews Student Recreation and Wellness Center
- Student One Stop
Apply for College Now's Adult Learner Program Scholarship
Open September through November for spring semester and January through April for fall semester collegenowgc.org/
Strengthen your computer skills...
To be successful at YSU, adult learners need basic technological skills, including:
- Mouse skills (your placement testing will be done on the computer, and if you do not have mouse skills, these will be more difficult for you)
- Basic knowledge of Microsoft Word
- Email skills (you must be able to send and receive e-mail and attach a document)
- Basic library research skills
You can go to gcflearnfree.org/ for help with all of the above skills.
Social Support for Adult Students...
Adult Learner Services contact:
Additional resource available at College for Adults (National College Transition Network)
Adult Enrollment Trends in Higher Education
From the U.S. Department of Education
- 42% of all college students are 25 years of age or older
- 80% of adult students study at public colleges
- 50% of adult students are enrolled in four-year institutions
According to the National Center for Education Statistics, the year 2003 established...
- a 4% gain for students under 25
- a 16% gain for students over 25
- 43% of all student enrollment age 25 and older a forecast to 50% of all student enrollment age 25 and older by 2010.