Orientation facilitates the transition of new first-year students to campus life. During Orientation, students will meet other new students and connect with the campus community, receive valuable information regarding campus resources and learn about various student organizations, social activities, programs and events.
On behalf of our Orientation Team and campus community, we welcome you to the YSU Penguin Family!
First-year undergraduate students are required to attend a SOAR (Student Orientation, Advisement and Registration) session.
Registering for Orientation:
- Once a student receives their official acceptance packet from the Office of Undergraduate Admissions, they should follow the instructions utilizing the Username and YSU student ID number (Y000000) provided in their packet to activate their MyYSU portal (student email account).
- An invitation letter with instructions to register for Orientation will be sent via U.S. Mail.
- Students will register and/or reschedule their session through their MyYSU portal (student email account).
- The online reservation system is available 24/7.
- Space in our sessions is in high demand and students are encouraged to register early.
- Instructions and program details will be confirmed via email once the reservation is submitted.
All first-year students who apply for the fall term, and are accepted by February 15 will be eligible to participate in the EARLY-SOAR program (February-March). Students accepted after February 15 will receive an invitation to register for a SOAR session scheduled throughout the summer months (June-August).
- Based on current ACT or SAT scores, students will be pre-placed into Composition (English) - CPT, Math - CRT and Reading CRT courses, however, placement testing may be required.
- Register for testing at www.ysu.edu/testing; all testing must be completed prior to attending Orientation.
- If you have any questions, call the Testing Office at (330) 941-1343 or email email@example.com.
First-year Transfer students should first contact their academic college for advisement and registration prior to attending a TSO (Transfer Student Orientation) session. Orientation sessions are scheduled for the spring and fall terms only. All students accepted for the summer term should contact an advisor directly.
- Visit here to find your advisor
Transfer Student Orientation (TSO) provides a:
- Half-day program specifically for Transfer students
- Connection with an Orientation Leader
- Thorough introduction to University resources and services
Registering for Orientation:
- Once accepted, students will receive their official acceptance packet from the Office of Undergraduate Admissions which will contain a Username and YSU student ID number (Y000000). When this information is received, students should activate their MyYSU portal (student email account).
- Instructions and details regarding Orientation will be confirmed via email once the reservation is submitted.
ONLINE ORIENTATION (Transfer and Returning Students only)
First-year Transfer students are encouraged to attend Orientation, however, the option to complete the Online Orientation process is also available through the MyYSU portal.
- To access the Online Transfer Student Orientation, students should log into their MyYSU portal, click the link to Register for Orientation.
Prior to the start of the fall semester, all first-year undergraduate students will return to campus to participate in IGNITE. The program focuses on teaching students to be a community member at YSU. Students will interact with faculty, staff and their peers.
The 2017 IGNITE program is scheduled for Monday, August 21; all first-year undergraduate students are expected to attend.
For questions or further information, email firstname.lastname@example.org.
CSP Orientation Services
Jones Hall - Room 3001
8:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m. (Monday - Friday)
Youngstown State University
One University Plaza
Youngstown, OH 44555
(330) 941-2131 Phone
(330) 941-2104 FAX
Webpage maintained by Kathy Palladino
Questions, comments or suggestions?
Email us at email@example.com
Youngstown State University does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity and/or expression, disability, age, religion or veteran/military status in its programs and activities.
Title II/Section 504 Coordinator for Employees and others:
Kevin W. Reynolds Chief Human Resources Officer
Title II/Section 504 Coordinator for Students:
Gina McGranahan, Assistant Director Center for Student Progress - Disability Services