Please scroll to the end and click on the link "recommended printers" to see specific models...
I. Purchasing a printer? Keep in mind the primary reason you need a printer - don't purchase more printer than you need. Consider four areas:
- Toner vs. inkjet Toner printers are the best option for high-volume printing. Inkjet printers are the least expensive, but ink and paper are usually good for about 200 pages per unit - AND - inkjet printers cannot be repaired (usually) - they are too cheaply made and not designed to be repaired.
- Multifunction vs. printer only . Multifunction printers offer convenience and savings of having 3-4 machines in one: you can print, scan, copy and fax from 1 machine. If you already have a scanner, fax or copier - or you need a printer with certain features - a single-function printer might be the answer.
- Networking . This option is primarily for the purpose of sharing a printer with co-workers.
- Paper volume. Consider the number of pages you print per month and select a printer to meet this volume. Better quality paper yields better quality print-outs and paper jams are less frequent.
Other factors to consider: photo printing, a photo paper tray, two-sided printing, legal size documents, label printing, black-and-white vs. color, collating, stapling, faxing.
REMEMBER: the purchase price is just the start - the care of a printer also must be considered and a regular maintenance schedule should be followed.
II. Purchasing a computer? Do you need a desktop or laptop?
- Desktop. costs less; has a more comfortable keyboard; easier to repair or upgrade
- Laptop. mobility - can use it outside of the office; easily lost or stolen - purchase security cables; accessories are additional
** Extended warranty - it is a good idea to purchase an extended warranty, as PC's usually need to be replaced every three years
** Memory - more memory equals greater speed
Remember - EMS has certified technicians who service Apple and Dell computers, as well as Hewlett-Packard printers, and we stock an inventory of parts.
The care of your personal computer also should be considered in any purchase price - regular maintenance should be a priority.
To help you purchase a printer to meet your needs, EMS has created a table. Click on the link below - recommended printers - to view these printers. Detailed specifications (and a picture) will be found when you order the printer through Staples on e-CUBE!!
PLEASE NOTE: Additional options are approved to be added to the basic models (sorter, stapler, etc.)