Ward Beecher Hall
Chemical Management Center
Phone: 330-941-3703 or 330-941-1327
The Chemical Management Center goal is to help faculty and staff manage and use chemicals safely in academic research and teaching labs on campus.
All chemical orders are reviewed by the CMC before orders are sent to suppliers.
- The CMC helps the YSU campus community adhere to the Occupational Health Exposure Plan, namely the Chemical Hygiene Plan based on 29 CFR 1910.1450.
- The CMC also ensures compliance with CFATS(Chemical Facility Antiterrorism Standard)
- If you need to ship hazardous materials, please contact the CMC.
- The CMC ensures safe and environmentally disposal of hazardous waste per RCRA(Resource Conservation and Recovery Act)
- The CMC directs disposal of universal light(light bulbs and batteries)
The appropriate handling of chemicals is dictated by the Chemical Hygiene Plan.
It is the responsibility of each faculty and staff member, as well as students to know and follow the Chemical Hygiene Plan. No work is permitted in labs until a student has read and understood the chemical hygiene plan.
Safety Data Sheets
Safety data sheets are available for review in the lab, in the CMC, or at the Chemwatch site below.
Any questions about chemical compounds including gas cylinders, cryogenics including liquid nitrogen and dry ice, and hazardous waste should be directed to Tim Styranec at extension 3703 or tmstyranec at ysu.edu. Universal waste such as light bulbs and batteries should also be sent to the CMC.
Safety information can also be found at PubChem
The chemical inventory is also maintained by the CMC using https://cloud.chemicalsafety.com/weblogin/
Lab inspections are ongoing and on request by the CMC.
All requests for hazardous waste, biohazard waste, and battery pickup should be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Lab Safety Information
- Chemical Safety Resources
- Safety in Academic Chemistry Laboratories Current Edition
- Chemical Ordering Procedures
- Standard Operating Procedures
- Safety Data Sheets (SDS) Links(Select full database)
Battery/Light Bulb Pickup
Chemical Safety Training Sessions for Spring 2018
Please schedule with Tim Styranec by emailing email@example.com
Flinn Scientific Website for Undergraduate Students
Industry Safe Training