YSU has several tools at its disposal to communicate to students and employees in the event of an emergency. Depending on the nature of the emergency, any or all of these tools will be activated. Students and employees should be familiar with each of these tools so they can seek out the most up to date information if an emergency on campus should occur. Among the communications tools are:
- Penguin Alert is a text messaging system that allows the university to notify students via cell phone of campus emergencies.
- Campus-wide mass communications and alarm system, allows YSU to broadcast emergency announcements targeted to specific buildings from one central location.
- YSU homepage will provide up to date information in the case of an emergency.
- Emergency Information Line (330-941-2222) will include updated information related to campus emergency situations.
- MyYSU portal. Through the portal, the university will post “Campus Announcements” and e-mails, providing faculty, staff, students and the entire campus community with updates in the event of an emergency.
- News media. The university has a detailed news media call list that would be activated in the event of an emergency.