How to Apply --International Freshman Admission
An international freshman admission is any applicant who is currently enrolled or has completed high school /secondary school in the United States or a foreign country or an individual who already has a degree, but is seeking an additional undergraduate degree. To apply, please follow the instructions below.
- International academic credentials, including
- Proof of English Proficiency.
- Photocopy of passport page showing Photo, Name, Date of Birth, citizenship, etc.
- Affidavit of Financial Support Form*
- Supporting Financial documents, e.g. bank statement.
Please note: The summer semester is not available to international applicants.
For admission review and decision purposes, YSU will accept scanned or photocopy of all required documents (See requirements for copied documents). Students who are admitted on the basis of scanned or photocopied documents must bring their official transcript and diploma to the International Programs Office for verification within their first semester of enrollment. When you bring your original documents please be aware that all transcripts and academic records must be in sealed envelopes from your original schools. Language test score reports must be sent directly from test center in separate, sealed envelopes to YSU's International Admissions, International Programs office (YSU code 1975). All documents become the property of Youngstown State University and cannot be returned to the applicant, photocopied, or forwarded to another institution.
A HOLD will be placed on the student’s account preventing registration for future terms until verification of the original documents is completed.
Please note that we only accept online International Student Application. We are no longer accepting paper application form.
Please pay a nonrefundable $45 (US) application fee along with your online application, you may pay it here or use Flywire (click here for instruction). Please note your application will be reviewed and processed after you pay the application fee.
3. International academic credentials: Applicants must show official academic record/grades from each high schools you previously attended. This includes subjects studied, grades received, and a key to the grading system. If you have graduated from high school, you must submit your high school diploma or certificate.
If an original transcript, mark sheet, or diploma is difficult to obtain, a copy attested or certified by the school principal, the registrar, or controller of examination is acceptable. All documents should be submitted in the original language in which they were issued along with certified translated copies; unless the institution that issues the documents does so in English. All academic documents may be submitted in sealed envelopes directly from the institution. YSU international undergraduate admissions require a minimum grade point average (GPA) of 2.00 based on US 4.00 scale.
4. Providing proof of English Proficiency. Please check English Proficiency Requirements. YSU institution code is 1975.
Please Note: An official ACT or SAT Test results are required ONLY for students that are first-year (freshman) applying to the Honor's Program, student-athletes who must comply with NCAA eligibility requirements, and those who have attended a US high school or secondary school in another country that follows the US high school curriculum.
6. Evidence of sufficient financial resources to support the student, at least through the first year of studies. Applicants must completely fill out, scan, and upload the Affidavit of Financial Support Form as a part of their application. Applicants must scan and upload the necessary supporting documents. Bank statements must be dated within 6 months of the date of application in US dollars. See the Financial Requirements page for detailed information. Please note that NO Certificate Eligibility /I-20 or DS2019 will be issued without evidence of sufficient financial support (these documents are required when applying for an F-1 or J-1 student visa from a US consulate). Students who are admitted on the basis of scanned documents must bring their original Bank Statements to the International Programs Office for verification within their first semester of enrollment.
We strongly recommend that you keep copies of all submitted materials.
Your application is considered complete only if you submit all of the required materials listed above. It is reasonable to expect 10-14 business days to start the process of your application after it is completed. If you have not received any response after the 14 business days, you may email firstname.lastname@example.org to check your application status.
Applicants for Engineering and Business
Please note that all students applying to an Engineering or Business program will begin their program at Youngstown State University as “Pre-Engineering” or “Pre-Business”. Upon meeting the department’s criteria, you may then declare your major. With department specific questions, you should outreach directly to the academic program to which you are applying.
UNDERGRADUATE ADMISSION DEFERRAL
Students may defer admission one time within one year of acceptance without paying the application fee again. Beyond one year, students have to reapply again.
Students who are admitted for the fall semester have to apply for deferral by November 1. Students who are admitted for spring semester have to apply for deferral by June 1.