Frequently Asked Questions
Please go to International Future Students Page for detailed information for all facets of international admissions.
1. What are the minimum requirements of the English Proficiency test for IELTS?
It varies for undergraduate and graduate admissions. For more information, please check the English Proficiency Requirements.
2. How do I find international scholarships? What are the minimum requirements for scholarships?
Please view our Scholarships page and read thoroughly for details on all available scholarships.
3. Can my application fee be waived?
Youngstown State University (YSU) does not waive the application fee for any individual.
4. What is the average length of an Undergraduate application decision?
Approximately 2-3 weeks.
5. How much is the ESL Program application fee?
For ESL admission only, the application fee is $45.00; for conditional admission, you have to pay $45.00 for undergraduate admission plus $45.00 for ESL admission ($90.00 in total).
6. How do I pay the non-refundable application fee?
For the undergraduate application, you may pay the fee after you submit your application form through the application system; you may also use Flywire (click instruction), or you may pay it through YSU Marketplace.
For Graduate application, you will have to pay the application fee before you submit the application.
7. How to apply as a transfer international student?
Please check our Transfer Admission Requirements for detailed instruction.
8. How do I apply as an international freshman?
Please go to the Freshman Admission Requirements page for details.
9. How to apply for conditional admission if I have not met the language requirement yet?
Please go to the Conditional Admission Requirements page for details.
10. What is the cost of Tuition?
Please go to the Tuition & Cost page for details.
11. Do you require WES or NACES member Evaluation report?
No, YSU does not require any third-party evaluation.
12. Do I need a specific score in the English part of the ACT or does just the overall score count?
Please note that YSU's international admissions do NOT require SAT/ACT scores unless you are applying for Honors College Scholarships or you are applying as a freshman without TOEFL or IELTS test from an English-Speaking Country listed on the English Proficiency Requirements page.
13. Do you offer a list of Majors?
Please check the appropriate link below:
14. Do you offer any scholarship for international transfer students?
Yes, please view our Scholarships page and check No. 3 TRANSFER STUDENT SCHOLARSHIPS for details.
15. What is my application status?
For undergraduate applicants, after you have submitted all required documents (see 7, 8, 9), you should receive a admission decision within three weeks. You may email email@example.com to check your application status if you have not received any updates after three weeks.
For graduate applicants, please log back to your application portal to check your status.