Freshman Admission Requirements and Information
- Completed International Student Application Form
- A nonrefundable $45 (US) application fee, you could pay online (Click here) or use Flywire (click here for instruction).
- International academic credentials: Complete, official academic record/grades from each secondary schools, colleges, and universities previously attended. Including subjects studied, grades received and a key to the grading system. If an original transcript or mark sheet is difficult to obtain, a copy attested or certified by the school principal, the registrar or controller of examination is acceptable. All documents should be submitted in the original language in which they were issued along with certified translated copies; unless the institution that issues the documents does so in English. All academic documents may be submitted in sealed envelopes directly from the institution.
- Providing proof of English Proficiency. Please check English Proficiency Requirements. YSU institution code is 1975.
- For admission review and decision purposes, YSU will accept scanned or photocopy of all documents (See requirements for copied documents). Students who are admitted on the basis of scanned or photocopy documents must bring their official transcript and diploma to the International Programs Office for verification within their first semester of enrollment. A HOLD will be placed on the student’s account preventing registration for future terms until verification of the original documents is completed.
Please click on the link below to check if you are exempt from submitting TOEFL/IELTS scores English Proficiency Requirements
- Official ACT or SAT Test results are required ONLY for students that are first-year (freshman) applying to the Honor's Program, student athletes who must comply with NCAA eligibility requirements, and those who have attended a US high school or secondary school in another country that follows the US high school curriculum.
- Evidence of sufficient financial resources to support the student, at least through the first year of studies. Applicants must completely fill out, scan and upload the Affidavit of Financial Support Form as a part of their application. Applicants must scan and upload the necessary supporting documents. Bank statements must be dated within 6 months of the date of application in US dollars. See the Financial Requirements page for detailed information. Please note that NO Certificate Eligibility /I-20 or DS2019 will be issued without evidence of sufficient financial support (these documents are required when applying for an F-1 or J-1 student visa from a US consulate). Students who are admitted on the basis of scanned documents must bring their original Bank Statements to the International Programs Office for verification within their first semester of enrollment.
- Photocopy of passport page showing Photo, Name and Birth Date.
Review and Print Application Forms and Checklist (use link to PDF with forms below)
*Requires Adobe Acrobat Reader
Please Note: All transcripts, academic records and score reports must be sent directly from the school/test center in separate, sealed envelopes to YSU International Admissions, Center for International Studies and Programs office. All documents become the property of Youngstown State University and cannot be returned to the applicant, photocopied, or forwarded to another institution.
We strongly recommend that you keep copies of all submitted materials
- Application Dates and Deadlines
- English Proficiency Requirements
- Financial Responsibility Requirements
- Sending your application materials
- General Information
it is reasonable to expect 10-14 business days to process your application and produce your status report. If you have not received any response beyond 14 business days, please email email@example.com to check your application status.