Students in F-1/J-1 status with an I-20/DS-2019 issued by Youngstown State University, who wish to begin a program at another U.S. school, must request an electronic transfer of their SEVIS record from the International Programs Office (IPO).
Documents Required to Transfer a SEVIS Record
IPO requires the following documents to transfer a SEVIS record:
- A completed SEVIS Transfer-Out Form indicating the transfer school’s SEVIS program number (REQUIRED).
- Acceptance/admission letter to the new school. A copy or scan is acceptable (REQUIRED).
- Transfer-In Form from new school (if applicable). Contact your new school to find out if they have a form for IPO to complete.
- If on OPT, submit a copy of your EAD card.
Choosing the SEVIS Release Date
You must choose the date that IPO will release your record in SEVIS. Prior to deciding on a release date, consider the following:
- F-1 students: The release date must be after you complete your studies at YSU, but before the end of the 60-day grace period.
- J-1 students: The release date must be prior to the end of your program or end date on the DS-2019.
- The transfer-in school cannot issue your new I-20/DS-2019 until the release date has been reached. If traveling internationally after the SEVIS release date, you must use the I-20/DS-2019 issued by your new school to re-enter the U.S.
- Optional Practical Training (F-1 students), Academic Training (J-1 students) and/or on-campus work authorization will end when the release date is reached.
Be certain of the school you will transfer to and the effective transfer out date before submitting the transfer out paperwork. IPO cannot make any changes after the release date has been reached. For questions about your transfer, email (firstname.lastname@example.org) or call 330-941-2336.