What is Office 365?
- Office 365 for education (formerly known as Live@edu) is a cloud-based service from Microsoft that provides students with services such as email, calendaring, contact storage, and task management. Each account gets 25 GB of free email storage and can handle attachments as large as 25 MB.
Who can access O365?
- Currently ONLY YSU students that are NOT Faculty or Staff Members have access to O365.
Is O365 free?
- Yes. All students will have access to Office 365 for education at no cost.
How do I access O365?
How do I access my emails on the Legacy E-mail system that I received prior to the new O365 E-mail system (September 21, 2012 @ 3pm)?
- Login to the MyYSU portal and click on the “Legacy E-mail” icon as shown below:
Can I access O365 without going through the MyYSU Portal?
- Yes. You can use any browser or go to the following link: Outlook.com
Enter your MyYSU User ID e.g. Ptpenguin and your MyYSU password. Click the “Sign In” button.
Can I use an email client on my Windows or Mac PC to access O365?
- Yes. Office 365 can be accessed with a mail client such as Mail on a Mac, Outlook on Windows or Mac, or Thunderbird. Please refer to the YSU Tech Desk site for instructions on configuring your PC or Mac and click on the “SELF-HELP DOCUMENTS” link on the right side of the page.
Where can I change my account password?
- You can NOT change your password from within O365. All password changes need to be made from the MyYSU portal at my.ysu.edu.
Why didn't YSU transfer my old mail in the Legacy E-mail system to O365?
- After conferring with current students, consultants and other universities who had attempted to transfer student email, it was determined that the additional complexity, time, and risk involved was not worth it.
If I currently use a mail client to access my email, will that configuration work to access O365?
- No, however it will continue to work to access your email on the Legacy E-mail system. Note: if you want to configure your mail client to access O365 please go to the YSU Tech Desk site and click on the “SELF-HELP DOCUMENTS” link on the right side of the page for instructions on how to configure your mail client to access O365.
What browsers are fully supported and tested to access e-mail on O365?
- Internet Explorer 8 or above
- Latest Firefox “Release” version
- Safari 5 or above
- Latest Chrome “Stable” version
What operating systems are fully supported and tested to access e-mail on O365?
- Windows 7
- Windows Vista SP2(support ending on January 1, 2014)
- Windows XP SP3(support ending on January 1, 2014).Note: requires .NET 2.0 or later running Office 2010 SP1 or Office 2007 SP2
- Mac OS X 10.5 “Leopard”
- Mac OS X 10.6 “Snow Leopard”
- Mac OS X 10.7 “Lion” running Office 2011 for Mac or Office 2008 for Mac (support ending on April 9, 2013)
Can I automatically forward all my email from O365 to another email provider e.g. Yahoo, GMail?
- No. The University has chosen to disable the ability for auto forwarding of email to other systems.
Can I automatically forward all email from another provider to Office 365 for education?
- Most likely. Each provider has their own documentation on how to forward email from their system to another email system. Refer to the instructions below on how to auto forward email for many popular email services:
- Windows Live Hotmail
- Time Warner Cable / RoadRunner: email forwarding options for Office 365 may be available, but information on the matter is not present on the Time Warner website.
- Armstrong Zoom Cable Internet / MyWire: email cannot be forwarded from @zoominternet.net email addresses to other addresses at this time due to Armstrong’s lack of an option for forwarding
- Comcast / Xfinity Connect
- AT&T DSL
- Verizon DSL and FiOS
- Yahoo! (Note: this requires Yahoo Mail Plus, which is a $19.99 yearly fee)
Where did my old mail go?
- Email stored in the Legacy E-mail system is still available and can be moved to your O365 email account. Please refer to the YSU Tech Desk site for instructions on moving email and click on the “SELF-HELP DOCUMENTS” link on the right side of the page.
How long will my old email be available in the Legacy E-mail system?
- Your old emails will be available in the Legacy E-mail system until May 31, 2013.
Does O365 provide anti-spam protection?
- Yes. Office 365 for education has its own anti-spam mail filters and virus protection. Messages sent to email@example.com will be scanned and filtered automatically, so messages detected as junk mail will be placed in your “Junk E-Mail” folder. It is important to periodically check your Junk E-Mail folder to avoid missing a real message mistakenly marked as spam. Refer to the YSU Tech Desk site for instructions on customizing the Junk E-Mail settings and click on the “SELF-HELP DOCUMENTS” link on the right side of the page.
Are other colleges and universities using Office 365 for education?
- Yes. Many other colleges and universities are using O365 or Live@edu (the predecessor to O365) including Ohio State University, the University of Cincinnati, and Ohio University.
Can I keep this O365 e-mail account after I graduate from Youngstown State University?
- Yes. After graduating from the university you may keep your Youngstown State University Office 365 for education email account. Note: some features of O365 will not be available after graduation including Lync, Sharepoint, and Office Desktop Apps.
Will there be a fee for my O365 e-mail account after I graduate?
- No. It will remain free.
Why don't I see the Options for Lync, Sharepoint, and Office Desktop Apps in O365?
- Currently YSU has chosen to disable these features until they are more fully understood and tested. These features will be made available to all YSU O365 users in the near future.
Is there a way to transfer all my Legacy E-mail to O365?
- Yes. Please refer to the YSU Tech Desk site and click on the “SELF-HELP DOCUMENTS” link on the right side of the page for instructions on how to move all email from the Legacy E-mail system to O365.