YSU reserves the right to make the final determination of a student’s admission and enrollment in College Credit Plus (CCP).
CCP Admission Requirements
- 2.0 cumulative, unweighted high school GPA
- One of the following ACT or SAT scores:
- 17 ACT Composite OR
- 820 on combined SAT Critical Reading and Math on SAT's taken prior to March 2016 OR
- 910 on combined SAT evidence based Writing/Reading and Math on SAT's taken March 2016 or after
- Meet one or more of the State of Ohio College Readiness Benchmarks:
- ACT: English 18, Reading 22, or Math 22
- SAT scores for exams taken prior to March 2016: Writing 430, Reading 450, or Math 520
- SAT scores for exams taken March 2016 or after: Writing sub-score 25, Reading sub-score 25, or Math 550
- Passage of required State of Ohio graduation tests or end of course exams, unless students are too young to have taken them.
Admission to the YSU CCP program is different than meeting course placement requirements. Placement into specific courses may require higher ACT/SAT sub-scores and/or placement testing and/or prerequisites.
CCP Course Placement Requirements
You are allowed, under state law, to take any class in which you meet the course placement requirements. In all cases, your eligibility to take a course will be evaluated against the State of Ohio College-Readiness Standards as follows:
ACT scores*: English 18, Reading 22, Math 22 OR
SAT scores for exams taken prior to March 2016*: Writing 430, Reading 450, Math 520 OR
SAT scores for exams taken March 2016 or after*: Writing sub-score 25, Reading sub-score 25, Math evidence based score 550.
Some courses at YSU require higher scores on the ACT/SAT or YSU administered placement tests. Visit the YSU Course Catalog for course descriptions and placement requirements.
* YSU uses the students highest test score achieved in each section (regardless of test date).
If you do not meet one or more of the College Readiness Benchmarks above, you may choose to take the following placement tests/assessments:
- English – YSU uses an in-house writing assessment called the Composition Placement Test.
- You schedule an appointment to come to campus to complete it. We do not accept any other English placement assessments.
- Reading – YSU uses Accuplacer – it is a computerized assessment. Click here to practice and be prepared for Accuplacer Reading.
- You schedule an appointment to come to campus to complete it.
- If you have completed Accuplacer at another college or university, YSU will accept an official score report from that institution for placement at YSU. You or your school coordinator should request an official report be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Science – As a reminder, there is no college readiness benchmark for Science.
- Some Science courses have prerequisites or require you to be pre-calculus ready, or have an ACT Math score of 25, in order to enroll. Please visit the YSU course catalog to view course requirements.
- Math – YSU uses ALEKS – it is an online remediation and assessment program which you begin using at home. There is a $25 fee associated with this program. Read more about what to expect with ALEKS on the Testing Center’s website.
- After you have completed some of the modules in ALEKS you can schedule an appointment to come to campus to take the official assessment.
- If you have completed ALEKS at another college or university, YSU will accept an official score report from that institution for placement at YSU. You or your school coordinator should request an official report be emailed to email@example.com.
For more information regarding testing, including scheduling an appointment, please visit Testing Center.
Admission by Student Appeal
Students who do not have the minimum admission requirements of 2.0 cumulative, unweighted high school GPA and ACT Composite of 17 and/or 820 (prior to March 2016) or 910 (March 2016 and after) SAT scores are encouraged not to apply. Students must meet the minimum admission requirements to Youngstown State University by the application deadline.
Students who have met the 2.0 cumulative, unweighted high school GPA and ACT and/or SAT test requirement, but have not met at least one of the college readiness benchmarks at the time of application may be considered for admission, provided they have:
- ACT and/or SAT scores that falls within the State Eligibility Guidelines (pending State of Ohio release as of 9/27/17) AND
- A cumulative, unweighted high school GPA of 3.0 OR a letter or recommendation from a principal, school counselor or career/technical advisor.
Students admitted by appeal are not guaranteed course enrollment. You still must meet course placement requirements.
If a student does not meet the course placement guidelines, and still wants to apply for courses offered in their high school ONLY, please contact the school district's CCP coordinator.
The district coordinator should contact CCP staff BEFORE submitting the application to discuss the student’s academic record and appeal process.
Students who do not have a qualifying ACT score for admission to CCP at YSU may take Accuplacer Eligibility Testing (English, Reading, Math) to try to obtain a qualifying score. Students must call the CCP Office at 330-941-2447 to express interest in taking the Accuplacer test and will then be provided the next steps on how to sign up with the Testing Center. The Accuplacer test will be the only free assessment test offered by YSU.
Deadlines to complete 2018-2019 Eligibility Testing:
Non-public/home school students (for any term): March 20, 2018
Summer 2018: March 20, 2018
Fall 2018/Spring 2019: April 20, 2018