Police Department: Application for Student Employment Instructions
- Download the Student Employment Application from the University Police Website.
- Fill out the application completely. The application is a fillable .pdf.
- Make sure to select the position you are applying for in the drop down box at the top of the form. If you are applying for both positions, you will have to fill out a separate application for each one. The position descriptions are listed below.
- Print and sign the application(s).
- Bring the application to the University Police Department at the corner of Fifth Ave. and Wood St. (GPS address is 266 W. Wood St.)
Position Title: Student Security Service Aide
Position Description: A Student Security Service Aide provides transport services to students, faculty, and staff on campus as well as near the north side. Transports are available to members of the University community and to campus visitors, including physically challenged individuals. Student Security Service Aides assist YSU Police Department staff by securing campus buildings and advising the police of observed suspicious activity. Other related duties as assigned.
- Must be in good standing and en rolled in one course of at least three credits each semester. Will be required to contribute into Ohio Public Employees Retirement System (OPERS) if enrolled in six credit hours or less for undergraduate students and five credit hours or less for graduate students.
- Knowledge of, or ability to learn, basic information related to the department responsibilities and general University information.
- Ability to learn proper radio procedures and operation of portable radio.
- Ability to communicate and interact with the University community in a professional manner.
- Ability to operate a motorized club car which will be used for the transporting of temporarily or permanently disabled individuals.
- Is subject to reasonable suspicion drug and alcohol testing throughout employment with the University Police Department as a Student Security Service Aide.
- Will be required to wear uniform shirt and photo I.D. tag.
- Must be dependable.
Reports to: Lieutenant and/or designee /Student Security Service Supervisors
Position Title: Student Administrative Aide
Utilize ARMS Police Database System, e.g., police reports, property log, arrest log, moving citations, master name file, employee information log, UCR statistics and radio log; prepare memos, reports, and forms, e.g., callouts for fulltime and intermittent sworn and civilian staff, vehicle inspection reports, aggregate OT roster, lieutenant on-call list, student employment forms; prepare police report log and coordinate use with BE book; prepare files and log payments/chargebacks for police service reimbursements; advise students of Web Check procedures and schedule; update YSU property holding log; enter admit requests into computerized admit file; monitor use of office supplies; compile statistical data for reports, e.g., chargebacks and shift differential; update and print weekly work schedule for YSU Police Department staff; distribute mail; prepare fax cover sheets and send faxes; copy and distribute Subpoenas for YSU Police Department staff; answer telephones, take messages, and/or text staff as appropriate; make deliveries to campus offices; make departmental deposits at Bursar’s Office; distribute police reports within department and to campus community; assist with preparation of background checks for employment using the Master Name File; update property log when items are lost, stolen, or recovered on campus; maintain 30-day file of Add Names, Case Management, and Property Forms; prepare football and basketball assignment sheets for lieutenants; check payroll before it is approved and submitted to Payroll Office; alphabetize payroll sheets, assign unit number, and distribute to department staff; copy all payroll sheets before they are submitted to Payroll; perform receptionist duties for visitors, e.g., directing them to the appropriate office, making coffee, etc.; prepare and fax reminders to campus departments about changes in building schedules and lab hours; shred all confidential and information sensitive documents for department and assist in coordinating building recycling; clean administrative offices; review and purge employee files every six months; prepare files and file documents; and assist Administrative Assistant with related projects as directed.
- Must be a YSU Student in good academic standing and enrolled in at least three credits each semester.
- Ability to work up to 25 hours/week, Monday through Friday, between 8 a.m. and 5 p.m.
- Proficiency with Word, Excel and Power Point
- Ability to communicate and interact with the University community and general public in a professional and competent manner
- Proficiency in operation of office equipment, e.g., photocopier
- Excellent proofreading skills
- Ability to learn and be proficient in all duties of a Student Administrative Aide
- Competency in answering telephones and taking telephone messages
Reports to: Administrative Assistant
Training/Probation: Six-month training/probationary period