The purpose of this policy is to state the Youngstown State University Police Procedure for Timely Warnings. Per the provisions of the Jeanne Clery Disclosures of Campus Security Policies and Campus Crime Statistics, the Youngstown State University Police Department must issue Timely Warnings to the Campus Community under certain circumstances. These circumstances are, but not limited to
- Murder and non-negligent manslaughter
- Negligent manslaughter
- Forcible and non forcible sex offenses
- Aggravated Assault
- Motor vehicle theft
And any other offense that the Chief of YSU Police designates which would be of benefit for the campus community.
The YSU Police Department shall communicate the Timely Warnings to On campus property, Public Property, Non Campus buildings or property. These are defined as follows:
On Campus Any building or property owned or controlled by an institution within the same reasonably contiguous geographic area and used by the institution in direct support of, or in a manner related to, the institutions educational purpose’s, including residence halls and any building that is within or reasonably contiguous to the above, that is owned by the institution but is controlled by another person.
Public Property All property, including thoroughfares, streets, sidewalks, and parking facilities that is within the campus, or immediately adjacent to and accessible from the campus.
Non-Campus Buildings or properties Any building or property owned by or controlled by a student organization that is officially recognized by the institution; or any building or property owned or controlled by an institution that is used in direct support of, or in relation to, the institution’s purposes, is frequently used by students, and is not within the same reasonably contiguous geographic area of the institution.
The Timely Warnings shall be published and distributed by three methods;
- The Timely Warning shall be posted on the Youngstown State University Police website
- The Timely Warning shall be sent via e-mail to those subscribers of the YSU Alert service as well as those having YSU-email accounts. This shall be done by the Office of Marketing and Communication
- The Timely Warning shall be posted on paper, on the Crime Prevention Bulletin Boards which are located in buildings across campus.
The Timely warnings will provide the following information if possible;
- A succinct statement of the incident
- The date which the alert was issued
- Physical description of the suspects
- Other relevant and important information
Unless stated, the timely warnings shall expire after two weeks. If necessary, the warnings may be extended for a longer period of time.