Youngstown State Purchasing Card (P-Card)
What is a P-Card?
The University Purchasing Card is a MasterCard obtained from JPMorgan Chase and should be accepted by any authorized supplier that accepts MasterCard.
A cardholder may use the P-Card in the same way as a personal credit card to make purchases of supplies or services strictly for University needs.
Purchases may be made by telephone, mail, the Internet or in person with any supplier that accepts MasterCard as a form of payment (also some suppliers on eCUBE).
YSU offers two types of credit cards. One is a Regular P-card which is used to acquire small dollar purchases (under $1,500) such as supplies. The other card is a Select P-card which is designed to provide increased flexibility for University personnel who travel frequently and actively conduct University business during travel and community programs. Original travel receipts are attached and submitted with the P-Card Statement of Account and copies of the receipts are attached to the Travel Expense Report (TER).
How to Apply
- Complete either the Regular P-Card** application or the Select P-Card** application, depending on the needs of your program.
- Forward to Financial Manager for approval
- Purchasing Card applications will take Chase approximately 14 business days to process-from the time that Procurement Services receives the application until the date that the actual MasterCard is mailed to YSU from Chase.
- Cards will be picked up in Procurement Services upon notification
- Cardholder training will be provided at that time
- Easy and convenient. Phone orders can be placed directly to vendors at any time.
- Cardholders can make most purchases up front without additional approvals.
- Improved purchase cycle time.
- Better vendor relations.
- Efficient means of providing prepayment when required.
- Reduces paperwork
a. Eliminates need for purchase requisition/purchase order
b. No receiving reports
c. Simplified billing and reconciliation
- Individual spending limits. Currently $1,500 per transaction and a total of $15,000 per billing cycle.
- Monitor spending: Audit trails
- Reduced transaction costs. Less administrative costs compared to manual or on-line processing of Purchase Orders.
- Convenient method of paying for small dollar purchases.
Suggested Uses for Individual Purchasing Card
- Software & Supplies
- Lab Supplies
- Office Supplies
- Professional Memberships
- Subscriptions, books and journal
- Maintenance Supplies
Examples of Regular P-Card Excluded Purchases
- Rental Fees
- Personal Purchases
- Cash advances, ATM, Travelers Checks
- Gasoline or Fuel
- Food & Beverages
Contact the Program Administrator, Lisa Mudryk or call 330-941-3166
Procurement Services is responsible for the oversight of this program
**Requires Microsoft Word or Word Viewer