The Reading and Study Skills (R&SS) Center is an academic as well as a service-oriented division of the Department of Counseling, Special Education & School Psychology in the Beeghly College of Education at Youngstown State University. The staff, instructors, and Peer Tutors in the Reading and Study Skills Center
- provide a variety of strategies for improving college reading and studying.
- encourage students to choose study techniques appropriate to their needs.
- help students understand that building reading and study skills provides high returns for their investment in study time.
- help students improve performance in academic classes.
Services we offer:
(Red words are links for more information)
RSS 1510A - Advanced College Success Skills
RSS 1510B - Basic College Success Skills
RSS 1510C - STEM Advanced College Success Skills
Refer to the YSU Bulletin for course descriptions.
Student Comments About the Strength of the RSS Courses and the Instructors
(from recent Student Evaluations of Teaching and Learning)
- Helped me pass my classes that I failed last semester.
- They helped me find ways to manage time to get each assignment done that was provided for me. Also it helped me improve from last year as a student, in each of my classes.
- The strength of the course is that it helps me learn how I study the best and in a more sufficient time. It also me helped me increase my reading rate.
- This course has strengthened my confidence in reading at a faster rate with better comprehension. I think everyone can be smart but this class has taught me that it's more important to apply yourself and not be lazy-minded.
- This class helped me prepare for more advanced work.
- This course helped me learn new study techniques and apply them to other courses. Instructor was helpful, understanding and was able to answer questions.
Reading and Study Skills Center
Youngstown State University
Maag Library 154 (lower level)
Youngstown, OH 44555
Telephone: (330) 941-3099
Fax: (330) 941-3249