The Reading and Study Skills (R&SS) Center is an academic as well as a service-oriented division of the Department of Counseling, Special Education & School Psychology in the Beeghly College of Education at Youngstown State University. The staff, instructors, and Peer Tutors in the Reading and Study Skills Center
- provide a variety of strategies for improving college reading and studying.
- encourage students to choose study techniques appropriate to their needs.
- help students understand that building reading and study skills provides high returns for their investment in study time.
- help students improve performance in academic classes.
Services we offer:
(Red words are links for more information)
RSS 1510A - Advanced College Success Skills
RSS 1510B - Basic College Success Skills
RSS 1510C - STEM Advanced College Success Skills
RSS 1570 - Approaches to Professional Assessments
RSS 1571 - Approaches to Professional Assessment (applied)
Refer to the YSU Bulletin for course descriptions.
Self-referral Peer Tutoring:
YSU students may request individual tutoring with a trained Peer Tutor to improve study techniques in college level courses. Assistance with Standardized Tests is also available for:
- others upon request
Complete a Self-referral Peer Tutoring Request Form to request FREE study skills tutoring.
See this Tutoring Topics for a listing of how a tutor might help you!
College Success Workshops:
Free 50-minute workshops are presented throughout the semester.
Follow us on Twitter for College Success Workshop reminders @YSU_StudyHelp
- Learning Preferences
- Job Fair Tips
- Self Management & Procrastination
- Test Preparation
- Exploring Speed Reading
- Test Anxiety & Relaxation
- Note Taking
- Memory Techniques
- Proofreading, Revising & Editing
- Money Management
- Healthy Eating
Learn more about the Success Stories of two students helped by the Reading & Study Skills Center
Student Comments About the Strength of the RSS Courses and the Instructors
(from recent Student Evaluations of Teaching and Learning)
- Helped me pass my classes that I failed last semester.
- They helped me find ways to manage time to get each assignment done that was provided for me. Also it helped me improve from last year as a student, in each of my classes.
- The strength of the course is that it helps me learn how I study the best and in a more sufficient time. It also me helped me increase my reading rate.
- This course has strengthened my confidence in reading at a faster rate with better comprehension. I think everyone can be smart but this class has taught me that it's more important to apply yourself and not be lazy-minded.
- This class helped me prepare for more advanced work.
- This course helped me learn new study techniques and apply them to other courses. Instructor was helpful, understanding and was able to answer questions.