Each state university or college shall permit any person who is sixty years of age or older and who has resided in the state for at least one year to attend its courses and classes without charging that person a tuition or matriculation fee, provided the attendance is on a noncredit basis, is in courses where classroom space is available, and is approved by the instructors of the courses involved. The university or college may require payment of special fees, including any laboratory fees, if the fees are required of all students taking a course. Each university or college shall issue rules for determining the availability of classroom space and may issue such other rules as it considers necessary to implement this section, including rules exempting from the requirements of this section courses or classes for which special course or training prerequisites apply, in which physical demands upon students are inappropriate for imposition upon persons sixty years of age or older, or in which the number of participating regular students is insufficient to cover the university's or college's course-related expenses. A university or college also may extend to persons attending its courses and classes under this section any other student rights or privileges it considers appropriate (see Ohio Revised Code 3345.27 for more information).
How do I register for classes as a program participant?
- Registration for this program is the Friday prior to the beginning of each semester. Registration is located at Youngstown State University, Meshel Hall, third floor room 352. Meshel Hall is connected to the M-1 Parking Deck. Participants should arrive anytime between 9 a.m. and 12 p.m., and bring a current state photo ID card or driver's license.
- Participants taking classes under this program do not earn college credits. Participants may register for up to 12 credit hours per semester; fall and spring semesters are 15 weeks long while summer semester varies.
- While tuition for regular college credit classes is covered under the program, participants will be charged a $5 registration fee and any tech/lab/material fees associated with the course(s). Payment is due at the time of registration. The tech/lab/material fees can range from $35-187 per course. Parking on campus during the Fall and Spring semester is an additional fee of $160, for the Summer it is $58 or you can pay per day ($5 per day). Please plan to pay with check or credit/debit card the day of registration.
- If you would like to look at the schedule of classes prior to attending a registration date, you can review that information online.
|Registration Schedule Per Term|
|Term||Registration Date||Class Start Date|
|Spring 2019||January 11, 2019||January 14, 2019|
|Summer 2019||May 17, 2019||May 20, 2019|
|Fall 2019||August 16, 2019||August 19, 2019|
Questions? Call the Office of the Registrar at (330) 941-2217
How does the program work?
- Once current students have registered, classes are open on a space available basis to individuals 60 years old and older who have been Ohio residents for at least one year.
- Participants will be able to enroll in a regular college credit class on a non-credit basis; meaning, participants will not be required to take exams or receive grades. If you would like to assess your progress, you may take exams with instructor approval.
- This program only applies to regular college credit classes. Therefore, participants will not be able to take non-credit continuing education courses via the Metro College. Music and voice lessons requiring individual instruction are not available for participants, too.
Is there a Credit Enrollment Option?
In 1999, House Bill 147 passed permitting senior citizens to receive tuition-free college credit, providing that the senior citizen's family income is less than two hundred (200%) percent of the Federal Poverty Level Guideline. If the senior citizen meets the criteria for eligibility listed below and there is space available in the course(s), the participant can register for the credit enrollment option by completing an income verification form, a non-matriculated admission application to be admitted and enrolled into a University undergraduate program or non-degree admission to the College of Graduate Students prior to the start of classes each semester, and a manual registration form. All forms are supplied through the Office of the Registrar.
Eligibility Criteria: To enroll under the Credit Enrollment Option requires that a participant must be sixty (60) years of age or older; must have been a resident of the State of Ohio for the preceding twelve (12) months; meet current admission requirements; an the participant's family income must be less than two hundred (200%) percent of the Federal Poverty Level Guideline, as revised annually.
- Registration for this program is the Friday prior to the beginning of each semester. Participants of this program should indicate that they would like to participant in the "credit enrollment option" upon registration check-in; we will provide you with the appropriate forms to enroll. Registration is located at Youngstown State University in the Office of the Registrar, Meshel Hall, second floor. Meshel Hall is connected to the M-1 Parking Deck. Participants should arrive anytime between 9 a.m. and 12 p.m., and bring a current state photo ID card or driver's license.
- Participants taking classes under this program DO earn college credits. Participants may register for up to 12 -16 credit hours per semester as an undergraduate or up to 9 credit hours as a graduate student. Please note: fall and spring semesters are 15 weeks long while summer semester varies.
- The House Bill 147 eliminates the instructional and general fees from a participant's bill. Youngstown State University has agreed to eliminate the cost of the YSU application fee as well as the information service fee, leaving only the Technology/Laboratory/Materials fee(s) to be paid by the participant. Fees are payable by check, credit card or cash. The tech/lab/material fees can range from $35-$187 per course. Parking on campus during the Fall and Spring semester is an additional fee of $160, for the Summer it is $58 or you can pay per day ($5 per day).