Human Subjects Protection Training Requirement
CITI online training is required for ALL YSU affiliated Investigators who plan to collect data on human subjects. The Investigator must complete the training BEFORE the protocol application is submitted and include the Certificate of Completion with the submission material. The certification of training is valid for 3 years.
In order to access the online training go to www.citiprogram.org and complete the registration:
- Select "Create and Account" and "Register"
- Under "Select Organization Affiliation" enter "Youngstown State University"
- Select "Continue to Step 2"
- Provide registration information requested through Step 5
- In Step 5, select "No" when asked for "Interested in CE" credits
- Make a selection in survey selection at the bottom of Step 5
- Complete information in Step 6
- In Step 7, a list of all courses available to YSU will be displayed
- Scroll down to Question 1, "Human Subject Research" and choose the course most applicable to your research. In most cases, it will be "Social and Behavioral Research-Investigators". Do not confuse with "Responsible Conduct of Research" training in Question 4. This is only for faculty who wish to submit a federal grant application. If you are not sure which course to take, see Page 2 below for the examples of the types of research.
- Select "Complete Registration"
- Select "Finalize Registration"
- You should get a notice: Your registration has been completed successfully
- There will also be a notice: You are not enrolled in any course for this institution. Click here to complete your enrollment
- Choose Social and Behavioral Research-Investigators from the list again and submit
This completes the registration process. You may log out at this time and come back later or continue with the modules. It is not necessary to complete them all at one time, you can log back in with the username and password you choose in the registration process.
To begin the training modules:
- Log on with the username and password you chose
- Main Menu Page will display the selections you made during registration
- Select the option you have chosen and the list of modules will be displayed
- To begin, select the Integrity Assurance Statement; you must agree to the conditions before you can begin the training modules
- Work your way through the modules
- You can add other specialized modules that may be required by your research selecting "Add a course or update learner groups" from the main menu. The list of all courses will be available to YSU will be displayed and you can select any applicable course.
After you have completed training:
Save an electronic copy of the training completion certificate or print one out. Do not send it to the IRB at this time. When you are ready to submit your project to the IRB, include a copy of the certificate with the IRB protocol submission form and supporting documents.