Welcome to the YSU Institutional Animal Care and Use Committee (IACUC) Webpage
Youngstown State University observes and applies the policies and regulations set forth by the Public Health Service (PHS) to ensure humane and appropriate treatment of the use of all vertebrate animals used in a research setting. Youngstown State University’s Institutional Animal Care and Use Committee (IACUC) are responsible for the oversight of animal facilities and laboratories, reviewing all appropriate protocols, and providing a humane environment for research subjects. Assistance is provided as a resource for staff, investigators, and administrators for scientific and educational purposes to conduct research in the highest degree of ethical and humane bearings.
The purpose of YSU’s Institutional Animal Care and Use Committee (IACUC) is to oversee and evaluate the institutions animal care and use programs and facilities to assure consistence and ongoing compliance with the National Research Councils Guide for the Care and Use of Laboratory Animals*, USDA Animal Welfare Act (and Amendments)*, and the NIH Public Health Service Policy on the Humane Care and Use of Animals*.
The YSU IACUC will:
- Review and approve, require modifications, or withhold approval of activities related to the care and use of animals.
- Review and approve, require modifications, or withhold approval of significant changes regarding the use of animals in ongoing activities.
- Ensure for routine inspections of all animal care facilities and programs.
- Prepare a report of the findings of institutional reviews and inspections and submit it to the Authorized Organizational Representative (AOR). The report must distinguish between major and minor deficiencies and include a timetable for corrective action(s).
- Review concerns involving the care and use of animals at YSU.
- Make recommendations to the AOR regarding the animal care program, facilities, and/or personnel training.
- Suspend any activity involving animals for due cause.
- Conduct annual reviews of each previously approved, ongoing animal use activity including a complete review at least once every three years.
- Notify investigators and the AOR in writing of its decision to approve or withhold approval of the protocol.
- Prepare documentation related to inspections and other committee work to the institution.
- Receive, review, and assess any complaints received regarding animal care, research, use, and facilities at the institution.
Relevant YSU Policies and Forms (all forms should be submitted to the Office of Research):
- YSU Policy: 3356-10-15 Integrity in Research - Use and Care of Animals**
- YSU Policy: 3356-10-16 Research Misconduct.**
- Consortial Protocol**
- Participant Qualifications 2**
- Modification Request**
- Add Personnel**
- Hazardous Substance Form Northeast Ohio Medical University**
- Animal Transfer Form**
- Additional Resources may be found at the NEOMED IACUC website.
*Requires Adobe Acrobat Reader
**Requires Microsoft Word or Word Viewer