Due to increasing costs, changing compliance regulations, and to bring YSU in line with best practices at other colleges/universities in Ohio, a new policy for the use of credit cards to pay charges on a student account, including tuition will be implemented.
- A 2.75 percent convenience fee (minimum $3.00) will be assessed on all MasterCard, Discover Card and American Express credit card transactions.
- Effective February 18 2013, Visa credit cards will also be accepted.
No transaction fee will be assessed on payments made by cash, check, electronic check and debit card payments made at the Cashier window. Visa debit will still be accepted at the Cashier window.
- YSU does not keep any part of the convenience fee. The fee is charged and collected by a 3rd party processor contracted by YSU to provide credit card processing services for student accounts. The full amount of the payment less the processing fee is remitted to YSU. This new policy will significantly reduce annual administrative fees paid to credit card companies by YSU.
- These changes are in line with policies already in place at all of the other public, comprehensive universities in the state.**
- The convenience fee does not apply to retail sales, such as the Bookstore, Kilcawley Center and the Athletic Ticket Office, which will continue to accept Visa.
** Ohio Public universities that charge a convenience fee and do not accept Visa: Bowling Green, Cleveland State, Kent State, Miami, Ohio State, Ohio U, Akron, Cincinnati, Toledo, Wright State.