Edward W. Powers Women in STEM Career Day for 6th to 12th Grade Girls
and Edward W. Powers STEM Lecture for All Members of the Community
Science, Technology, Engineering and Math
Dr. Diana L. Fagan, WiSTEM Career Day Director
Dr. Heather Lorimer, WiSTEM Career Day Assistant Director
At Youngstown State University the Women in STEM Career Day was developed to provide positive role models and affirmative experiences in science to women. The Women in Science Career Day is offered each year at no cost to area middle and high school students. At this workshop, the girls meet with women from the community who work in scientific fields and participate in interactive laboratory demonstrations in various areas of science. In addition, the Mentor List on this website is a resource available to all students who visit this site. Many of the women who have participated in this career day have volunteered their time and contact information. Students who have questions about various careers or are looking for shadowing opportunities or internships can contact the women who have volunteered as mentors. It is hoped that Youngstown State University will continue to play an active part in encouraging women to experience the enjoyment of science and to enter into careers in science.
STEM Lecture Friday, March 3rd, 4 pm, Ohio Room, Kilcawley, YSU
YSU's 20th Annual Career Workshop Saturday, March 4th, 9 am Chestnut Room, Kilcawley, YSU
Registration Deadline is March 1rst, 2017 (registration is now open!) Register to reserve your spot!
Career Day will be Saturday, March 4, 2017 at the Chestnut Room, Kilcawley Center, Youngstown State University
The Women in STEM Career Workshop will expose young women in grades 6–12 to career opportunities in science and technology.
In the morning, students will attend panels where women who are working scientists will answer questions about their lives and careers. In the afternoon, students will have the opportunity to observe and participate in real-life science work.
- Urban Systems Engineer, Physical Therapist, Clinical Research Specialist, Physiologist
- Forensic Chemist, Accountant, Microbiologist, Chemical Engineer
- Mathematician, Reliability Engineer, Biochemist, Medical Technology Educator
- Dietitian, Physical Therapist, Quality Control/Biotechnology Specialist, Physicist
- Diabetes Educator, Chemical Engineering Educator, Wetlands Conservationist, Automotive Engineer
- Animal Care Technician, Plant Biologist, Director Ohio Nurses Association, Chemical Engineer
- Dental Hygienist, Brewing Quality Manager, Physical Therapist, Environmental Conservationist
Hands-on Activities & Lab
- Back to the Moon for Good Planetarium Show (first session only)
- The Magic of Physics
- Forensics: DNA Fingerprinting
- The Mathematics of Games
- Programming and Problem Solving
- Movin' It with Physical Therapy
- Forensic Anthropology: The Dead Do Tell Tales
|8:30 a.m.||Registration in the Chestnut Room, Kilcawley|
|9:00 a.m.||Welcome and Keynote Speaker|
Diana Fagan, Director WiSTEM Career Day
Dr. Minerva Cordero, Associate Dean, College of Science, Professor, Department of Mathematics, Distinguished Teaching Professor, The University of Texas at Arlington
Career Workshop Panels
Women scientists talk about their careers and answer questions
Career Workshop Panels: Session 1 * 10:00 a.m.
Career Workshop Panels: Session 2 * 10:45 a.m.
Lunch (will be provided in the Chestnut Room, Kilcawley Center) 11:30 a.m.
Hands on Activities
Hands-on Activities and Lab Demonstrations: Sessions 1 * 12:30 p.m.
Hands-on Activities and Lab Demonstrations: Sessions 2 * 1:30 p.m.
Heather Lorimer, PhD: Wrap-up Session: Assess Yourself: Do you fit the profile? 2:30
Workshop ends at 3:00 pm, Pick up students in Chestnut Room
* Run simultaneously and will be repeated once.
Heather Lorimer, PhD
Assistant Director, WISE Career Day Professor of Biological Sciences, Youngstown State University
10:00 a.m. - 2:00 p.m.
|Campus tour, college planning, financial aid|
For more information contact:
Dr. Diana Fagan at (330) 941-1554 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Amazing Women in Histroy
- The American Institute of Biological Sciences Careers
- Chemistry Careers
- Computer Engineering Careers
- Education Planet Science and Engineering
- Finding ADA
- Girl Start
- Learn How to Become an Electrical Engineer
- Learn How to Become a Mechanical Engineer
- Mad Sciorg
- Marine Careers
- Mathematical Association of America Careers
- NASA Careers
- Physics Careers
- Professional STEM Careers
- Programming and Softare Engineering Careers
- Software Engineering Careers
- Women Science videos
Park in the M1 Wick Deck (Building 2, map location I13). Ask the attendant for a free parking pass to attend the Career Day. Buses may drop students off at the Elm Street entrance (on the 422 service road). Buses will then turn North on Elm Street, cross 422 and park in R1 parking on the right.
Check in at the Chestnut Room, Kilcawley Center (Building 16, map location 7H).
When picking up the students, please meet them at the Chestnut Room, or at the entrance to Kilcawley off of University Plaza (enter through Elm Street). A faculty member will wait with the students at these locations. Please do not arrange to meet the students at any other location.