(Implementing Section 124.38, Ohio Revised Code)
INSTRUCTIONS TO FACULTY MEMBER
VERIFICATION BY DOCTOR:
A doctor’s signature on the “Application for Use of Sick Leave” form or a letter from the physician is needed:
a. if your are hospitalized; are on maternity leave; are on extended leave for illness or disability; for Family Medical Leave; or,
b. upon the request of your department chairperson or college dean.
- Sick leave may be used during any period of time in which the faculty member is under contract to perform services for the University. “A continuous period of sick leave commences with the first day of absence and includes all subsequent days until the employee returns to work.”
(YSU-YSU/OEA Agreement, Article 7.2:1a.ii)
- If you have an insufficient number of days of sick leave credit, your salary will be reduced a prorated amount.
- Accrued sick leave should be viewed as an additional insurance policy. It is hoped that you will not have to use it. However, it is better to have the security of knowing that you have sufficient sick leave credit to guarantee an income should an emergency arise.
- “The form must be submitted within three working days following the individual’s return to work.”
(YSU-YSU/OEA Agreement, Article 7.2:1.a.i)
- “A full-time faculty member may use up to four (4) days of sick leave each fiscal year for personal exigencies not directly related to illness.”
(YSU-YSU/OEA Agreement, Article 7.2:1)
DEFINITION OF IMMEDIATE FAMILY:(Ref. Ohio Revised Code 123:1-47)
Employee’s spouse, parents, children, grandparents, siblings, grandchildren, brother-in-law, sister-in-law, daughter-in-law, son-in-law, mother-in-law, father-in-law, step-parents, step-children, step-siblings, or a legal guardian or other person who stands in the place of a parent (inlocoparentis).
INSTRUCTIONS TO CHAIRPERSONS AND DEANS
- The application form must be completed for every use of sick leave. It may be submitted by the employee either before or after the time for which sick leave is requested, depending upon circumstances, but should, in any event, be submitted within three (3) days of the employee’s return to work.
- Any administrative action concerning application for sick leave is at the discretion of the department chairperson or college dean, as long as the basic purpose of the sick leave law is observed.
- After signature by the department chairperson and the college dean, the form should be forwarded to the Employee Processing Center/Human Resources. The completed form will be retained in Human Resources.
If you have questions, please contact Human Resources, Extension 2989.