Start a New Group
Interested in getting involved with student organizations at YSU? We have an active community of more than 190 student organizations on campus. We encourage you to get involved with one of the existing organizations. If you find that none of the existing organizations meet your needs, follow the step-by-step guide to starting a new student organization. Feel free to contact the Student Activities Office if you have any questions along the way.
Criteria for Approval
It’s very easy to start a new student organization on campus. Students may form a registered student organization for just about any purpose. Once you have officially completed the necessary paperwork with the Student Activities Office, there are many privileges and services available to your registered student organization.
- Complete a “Student Organization Registration Form” in the Symplicity system (see instruction below).
- The application must include minimum of five students and at least one advisor. Students must be currently enrolled and intend on being active members of the organization. Officers listed must be in good standing and registered for 9 or more semester hours.
- Provide the Student Activities Office with a copy of a basic constitution and by-laws for the organization. (Don’t panic...we’ll provide you with step-by-step instructions on how to write up a simple constitution and bylaws!)
- Secure a faculty or staff member to serve as advisor. Appointed annually by the Associate Vice President for Student Experience, the advisor agrees to maintain contact with the organization and to be familiar with its programs and personnel. (A list of Advisor specific responsibilities is available from the Student Activities Office.)
Types of Organizations
Academic / Educational
Athletic / Sports
Greek Life (Fraternities and Sororities)
Leadership & Service / University & Community
Multicultural / Ethnic
Music / Art / Performing Art
Start Your Organization
- To begin the process, go to login to your YSU Portal.
- Once there, under “e-Services” to the left, click on the “Student Organizations” link.
- A new tab will open and then you will automatically be in the Symplicity system.
- Under “Getting Started” on the right hand side, click on “New Organization Registration Form.”
- Follow the instructions and enter the new Student Groups unique student ID and the Group Name.
- Fill in as much information about the new student group as possible in the fields provided. Make sure all Required Fields (labeled with an asterisk “*”) are completed.
- Click “I agree” to the terms agreement.
- And, Click Save.
For a screen by screen guide, see Student Organization Registration Guide below.
PLEASE NOTE THAT ONLY STUDENTS CAN LOG-IN TO SIMPLICITY IN ORDER TO REGISTER A STUDENT ORGANIZATION. ADVISORS WILL NOT BE ABLE TO ACCESS THE SYSTEM THROUGH THAT LINK, HOWEVER, ONCE AN ORGANIZATION IS UP-AND-GOING THEN ADVISORS WILL BE SENT A LINK IN ORDER TO ACCESS AND VIEW THE GROUP.
Should you have any questions, please contact the Student Activities Office at 330-941-3575.
REGISTRATION FORMS/OFFICER CHANGES
Student Organization Registration Guide (Printable Manual)*
Complete this form when registering a new student organization or when re-registering for the current academic year. Each organization is required to re-register each academic year in May or as soon as they come back to campus in the Fall.
IF YOUR OFFICERS CHANGE MID-SEMESTER:
Changing of the Guard
As the new officer, change the positions to your roster in Symplicity by updating each member’s record. Once the changes have been made, please email the Student Activities Office at firstname.lastname@example.org. If you are not an Admin of the group and need your status updated call (330) 941-3575 to request the change.
New organizations need to apply for an EID# to set up a Bank Account.
- Read the instructions and scroll to the bottom and hit Begin Application
- Click “ View Additional Types, Including Tax-Exempt and Governmental Organizations” and Continue
- Choose Other Non-Profit/Tax-Exempt Organizations
- Hit Continue
- Choose Banking Purposes and continue
- Individual and then continue the application until complete
- For the organization’s address, make sure you use Youngstown State University, Student Activities Office, One University Plaza, Youngstown, OH 44555
* Requires Adobe Acrobat Reader