Introduction to Club Sports:
Youngstown State University offers a variety of sports for student participation and skills development in addition to providing unique leadership and club management opportunities. Sport Clubs are student initiated and managed by elected officers and under the guidance of a volunteer faculty or staff member serving as the mandatory Advisor. Sport Clubs are overseen by the department of Campus Recreation (Division of Student Experience) and are subject to the rules and policies governing the club sports program, student organizations and the university.
Definition of Club Sports:
Club Sports are registered YSU student organizations that are designed to promote and develop student interest in a specific physical or sporting activity. Clubs may be either recreational or competitive in nature. Clubs defined as competitive compete in non-varsity leagues, conferences, tournaments and regional and national play. Recreational clubs conduct regular practices, meetings and clinics.
CLUB SPORT STATUS
Student organizations desiring to use university facilities for the purpose of conducting meetings, practices, and competition must be recognized and registered with the Department of Campus Recreation, Club Sports Office (located in the Andrews Student Recreation and Wellness Center) prior to the start of each academic semester and have an approved application on file with Student Activities. Returning clubs must re-register by the beginning of the fall semester each year with updated officers and rosters. New Club Sport applications will be accepted on a rolling basis contingent upon facility space and student interest.
STUDENT INVOLVEMENT AND LEADERSHIP
Students involved with the Club Sports program have unlimited opportunities to become directly involved on the administration, implementation, and supervision of their respective clubs. Members collectively have the responsibility for: writing specific club constitution and by-laws, membership requirements, dues schedules, and establishing duties of officers; selection of their advisor, and volunteer coach as well as budgeting responsibilities. Club Sports members learn first hand what voluntary interaction can do for them.
CLUB SPORT APPLICATION PROCESS
- Contact the coordinator of Club Sports located in the Andrews Student Recreation and Wellness Center (330-941-2239) for initial meeting.
- The student organizers of the proposed club sports will need to secure a faculty and/or staff member to commit as the volunteer club sport advisor/coach.
- Recommendations are submitted to the Director of Campus Recreation for approval.
- Pick up the Club Sport Application packet on line. Read carefully, complete forms neatly and return paper copy to the club sport office. (The staff will assist you, if needed.)
I. Club Sport Organization
- Is voluntary and non-discriminatory.
- Members must assume the responsibility and leadership for operating their particular club sport.
- Members must be enrolled in a minimum of 9 credit hours, 6 credit hours for graduate students.
- Rosters must be submitted yearly and updated each semester.
- To become a recognized club sport, each organization
- Must submit a completed application to the Club Sports Coordinator for consideration
- Application must include the following:
- Name of organization
- Name, signature, and phone numbers of officers.
- Name, signature, and phone number of the advisor.
- Copy of rules of operation for your club sport (constitution and bylaws, not specific sport rules).
- Statement of purpose.
- Names and Banner ID numbers of members.
- Proposed schedule.
- Proposed budget including proposed income and expenditures, funds needed from Club Sport Council and statement regarding ability to operate without funds from council.
- Liability waiver on Symplicity must be filled out by every team member.
- Date of application.
- Register as a student organization with Student activities. In order to register with student activities clubs must do the following:
1. Complete a “Student Organization Registration Form” with the Student Activities Office. The application must include a list of six students and at least one advisor.
2. Students must be currently enrolled and intend on being active members of the organization.
3. Officers listed must be in good standing and registered for 8 or more semester hours.
4. The signatures of the president and advisor(s) of the organization are required.
- Each club sport shall undergo a yearly review based upon:
- Compliance with all guidelines, policies and procedures.
- Continued need and interest by student members.
- Availability of funds and facilities
- Continuity of membership.
4. Club Sports Officers
- Each club shall elect its officers:
- Vice President
- The duties of these officers will be specified in each club’s constitution and by laws