Human Subjects Protection Training Requirement
CITI online training is required for ALL YSU-affiliated Investigators who plan to collect data on Human Subjects. The Investigator must complete the training BEFORE the protocol application is submitted and include the Certificate of Completion with the protocol submission material. The certification of training is valid for 3 years from the time of completion.
To Register for CITI online training:
In order to register for the CITI online training go to https://www.citiprogram.org and complete the registration:
- Click on the “Register” button in the upper right hand corner of the website to bring up the registration page.
- Enter Youngstown State University in the search box.
- Select the box that you Agree to the Terms of Service.
- Affirm you are an affiliate of Youngstown State University.
- Enter your first and last name along with your email address. Please enter your name here as you would like it to appear on your completion report received at the end of the course.
- Choose a username and password for your account. Passwords are case sensitive.
- Select and answer a security question.
- Enter your country of residence.
- Enter “No” to the Continuing Education Credit question. YSU will not cover the expense for Continuing Education Credits; they must be paid for by the learner.
- Select “Yes” or “No” to questions regarding future survey participation or marketing information; this is your choice.
- You need only complete the organizational information that is required—your department and your role in the research project.
- You must complete a course under the Human Subject Research heading. Please choose either the Biomedical Research Investigators course or the Social & Behavioral Investigators course, according to the type of research you will be conducting. DO NOT complete the courses under the Responsible Conduct of Research heading, they are not applicable for this requirement.
- Scroll to the bottom of the page and select “Not at this time” to the questions regarding Export Compliance, Good Laboratory Practice, or Healthcare Ethics Committee.
- Click on Complete Registration.
- Click on Finalize Registration.
This completes the registration process. You may log out at this time and come back later or continue with the modules. It is not necessary to complete all of the modules at one time, you can log out and log back in at a later time with the username and password you chose in the registration process as many times as necessary until you complete all of the required modules.
To begin the training modules:
If you did not complete the training at the time of registration, log in with the username and password your chose. The Main Menu Page will display the selections you made during registration.
- Select the option you have chosen and the list of modules will be displayed.
- Select the Integrity Assurance Statement. You must agree to the Terms of Service before you can begin the training modules.
- Work your way through the required modules. You can re-take any module before you complete the entire course to achieve a better score if you choose.
- You can add other specialized courses that may be required by your research by selecting “Add a course or update learner groups” from the main menu. A list of all courses available to YSU researchers will be displayed and you can select any applicable course.
After you have completed training:
Save an electronic copy of the training completion certificate or print one out. Do not send it to the IRB at this time. When you are ready to submit your project to the IRB, include a copy of the certificate with the IRB protocol submission form and supporting documents.