The Writing Center's mission is to help students become more independent, confident and successful writers. Our consultants help current YSU undergraduate and graduate students, faculty and staff through the WC's free basic services:
- Consultations for individuals or small groups
- Assessment of writing strengths and weaknesses
- Guidance for essays, lab reports, history papers, résumés and other writing projects in all disciplines
- Help with documentation in APA, MLA, Chicago and other styles
- Preparation advice for writing portions of standardized tests, including the GRE, GMAT, LSAT, etc.
- Instruction in linguistics
- Tutoring for ESL students
- Sessions for peer reviews
The Writing Center has three physical locations at Maag Library, Stambaugh Stadium and the Metro College at Southwoods. Appointments, walk-ins and online consultations are available, and clients are permitted either two walk-ins or an appointment and a walk-in per week.
Clients who miss two appointments or cancel three appointments may only use the WC on a walk-in basis for the rest of the semester.
Why the Writing Center?
With its expanse of computer facilities, libraries and resources, the WC offers clients much more than just tutoring services.
- Windows-based computer labs with printers *
- Projectors for speech rehearsal opportunities
- MS Office guidance
- PowerPoint tutorials and podcasts
- Composition books
- Reference materials
- Style guides
- Writing and grammar handouts
- Literature on YSU services
- Tours and orientations
- Classroom help
- Placement testing
* Our computers and printers are available to all students on a first-come, first-served basis. Priority is given to clients or consultants who need a computer during a session.