The Mission of Student Counseling Services is to provide high quality, short-term, confidential mental health counseling, consultation, outreach (educational training), and referral services to currently enrolled YSU students.
SERVICES AND PROGRAMS
- Relationship concerns
- Difficulty managing multiple roles and their impact on being a successful college student
Consultation and Referral Services
Faculty, staff, and other concerned persons often call Student Counseling Services when faced with students displaying a range of behaviors that may be a cause for concern, including:
- Worry, anxiety, expressions of sadness/hopelessness, or poor hygiene
- A pattern of withdrawal from participation or excessive absences
- Irritability and conflict with others
- Confused patterns of thinking or communicating
- Oral or written expressions of distress, self-harm and/or suicidal/homicidal ideation
Our therapists are happy to speak with you on the phone about your concerns and how to make the most appropriate referral for the student. We work closely with many departments on campus including Student Outreach and Support, Center for Student Progress and the Student Health Clinic and may refer to these or others groups/organizations on and off campus to best help a student.
- Conflict Resolution Skills
- Crisis Text Line
- Eating Disorder Assistance
- Half of Us
- National Suicide Prevention Lifeline
- Ohio Suicide Prevention Foundation
- Resources for Students- Jordan Porco Foundation
- Stress Management Techniques
- Suicide Prevention- SAMHSA
- The Trevor Project
- What you as a student can expect from your first appointment at the student counseling center
- Yellow Ribbon Suicide Prevention
- Yoga Breathing for Relaxation
Crisis Text Line: Text "Start" to 741741 to get help now.
National Suicide Prevention Number 1-800-273-8255
Help Network of Northeast Ohio 1-800-427-3606
(330) 747-2696: 211
Help Network of Northeast Ohio has information on a Suicide Survivors Support Group.
Warning Signs of Suicide
If someone you know displays any of the following signs they could be at risk of suicide. Please contact a mental health practioner or physician to intervene to assist that individual.
- Talking about suicide
- Drastic changes in behavior ,eating ,sleeping ,school, alcohol or drug use
- Hopelessness, Depression
- Previous Attempts
- Impulsive Behavior
- Family History of suicide, violence, or chemical Abuse
- Giving away prized possessions
To learn more about preventing suicide, including trainings, check out this site:
Or call the Student Counseling Center at 330-941-3737 to arrange training for your student group.
After Hours Emergency
- If you are on campus, please call the YSU Police at (330) 941-3527.
- If you are not on campus, please call Help Network of Northeast Ohio Crisis Center at (330) 747-2696 or your local police.
- You may also go to your local emergency room.
Download the Virtual Hope Box App for Apple & Android Devices
More Self-Help Smartphone Apps
- Stop, Breathe & Think (iPhone and Android)
- Calm (iPhone and Android)
- Pacifica (iPhone and Android)
- Mindfulness Daily (iPhone only)
* Requires Adobe Acrobat Reader