Application for J1 Students at Youngstown State University (YSU)
How to Apply
After you have been accepted by your home university, you will need to complete the following materials and submit them to the designated office at your home university. Please note that the International Programs Office (IPO) at YSU only accepts applications for Exchange Students and Study Abroad Students sent from designated offices at our partner schools; IPO does not accept applications from individual students. However, IPO will make direct contact with individual students after we receive the application packages from designated offices at our partner schools.
- Download and Complete the YSU Application Form for J1 Students (This form is fillable)
- Submit regular online application form. Select "Transient" as your application type. Please note, J1 students do not need to submit materials recommended by the online application system. You only need to submit the required documents listed on this page.
- A nonrefundable $45 (US) application fee, students could pay online, or use Flywire, or could pay it upon arrival on campus.
- Copy of passport
- Proof of Language Proficiency
- Students are encouraged to show one of the following test scores: Official Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL), score of 61 or higher on the Internet Based Test (iBT) taken within two years sent directly from the Educational Testing Service (ETS). The TOEFL code for YSU is 1975; Or a 5.5 composite score (with a minimum of 5.0 on each sub-scale) on the International English Language Testing System (IELTS).
- YSU will agree to waive the TOEFL or IELTS requirement upon partner schools’ written certification that the exchange students’ English language proficiency is sufficient for participation in university-level academic courses (proof of English must be provided in all speaking, listening, reading, and writing aspects).
- Official Transcripts of all college coursework
- All documents should be submitted in the original language in which they were issued along with certified translated copies unless the institution that issues the documents does so in English.
- The minimum GPA requirement is 2.0 (based on US Grading scale).
- Supporting documents as attachments of application form for your Financial support while at YSU, such as verification of institutional funding, bank statement of your personal funding.
- You do not need to provide proof of YSU tuition waiver or sponsorships if you will receive.
- Please note that NO DS2019 form will be issued without evidence of sufficient financial support (these documents are required when applying for a J-1 visa from a US consulate).
- Students who are admitted on the basis of scanned documents must bring their original Bank Statements to the International Programs Office for verification upon their arrival.
For admission review and decision purposes, YSU will accept scanned or photocopy of all documents (See requirements here). Exchange Students and Study Abroad Students who are admitted on the basis of scanned or photocopied documents must bring all original documents to the International Programs Office for verification upon arrival. A HOLD will be placed on the student’s account preventing registration for future terms or issuing transcripts until verification of the original documents is completed.
For the designated office at our partner schools:
Once you receive the complete application package(s) from your nominated exchange or study abroad student(s), please send e-copies of packages to Ms. Shuiping Jiang, Assistant Director of International Admissions & Recruitment at firstname.lastname@example.org
You may check deadlines and dates.
Once Students Are Admitted
- Students are responsible for applying for housing as early as possible. Students are not required to live on campus. However, IPO strongly recommends that new exchange students or study abroad students live in campus housing. Please check housing information and apply here.
- Mandatory International Student Health Insurance. F1 and J1 students are required to enroll in YSU’s international student health insurance plan through the Lewer Agency while they are studying at YSU. Students can purchase insurance after their arrival.
- Students may be contacted by IPO regarding issuance of the DS-2019 Form should further information be required.
- Upon receiving the DS-2019, all J-1 students must pay the $180 SEVIS I-901 fee: https://www.fmjfee.com/. Be sure to print the receipt for your records.
- You must then schedule a visa appointment at a U.S. Embassy or Consulate nearest your place of residence. Comprehensive information on applying for a U.S. visa is available on the U.S. Department of State website. In particular, you may wish to consult the visa wait times or the individual consular websites for post-specific visa application procedures.
- All J-1 students are required to attend International Student Orientation and complete immigration check-in with the International Programs Office (IPO). IPO will send detailed information via email further instructions regarding orientation programming.
- We advise that you do not purchase airline tickets or make other travel arrangements until you have secured your visa. Students in J-1 status may enter the U.S. no more than 30 days prior to the start date listed in section #3 of the DS-2019.
- When you are traveling to the U.S., make sure you carry your original documents (passport, DS-2019, evidence of admission and financial resources) with you in your carry-on luggage.