Conditional Admission Requirements and Information
An applicant meeting all the requirements for admission except the specified level of English proficiency may be admitted conditionally. This admission is conditional upon successful completion of English language study at YSU’s English Language Institute (ELI). Conditional admission is applicable for both undergraduate and graduate applicants.
Please submit required documents along with your application. Required materials for international conditional admissions are:
- Completed ELI Application Form
- A nonrefundable $45 (US) ELI application fee, you can pay here or pay through Flywire (Click here).
- Complete Undergraduate Application Form, please check the notes.
- A nonrefundable $45 (US) undergraduate application fee.
- International academic credentials, including diploma/certificate/degree, and transcripts/mark sheet.
- Photocopy of passport page showing Photo, Name, Date of Birth, citizenship, etc.
- Affidavit of Financial Support Form*
- Supporting Financial documents, e.g. bank statement.
- Proof of English Proficiency (Optional).
For admission review and decision purposes, YSU will accept scanned or photocopy of all documents (See requirements for copied documents). Students who are admitted on the basis of scanned or photocopy documents must bring their official transcript and diploma to the International Programs Office for verification within their first semester of enrollment. When you bring your original documents, please be aware that all transcripts, academic records must be in sealed envelopes from original schools; Language test score reports must be sent directly from test center in separate, sealed envelopes to YSU International Admissions, International Programs office (YSU code 1975). All documents become the property of Youngstown State University and cannot be returned to the applicant, photocopied, or forwarded to another institution.
A HOLD will be placed on the student’s account preventing registration for future terms until verification of the original documents is completed.
International undergraduate conditional applicants have to submit both ELI Application Form and International Undergraduate Student Application. Please note that we only accept online applications and are not longer accepting paper application forms.
Please pay a nonrefundable $45 (US) ELI application fee as well as international undergraduate application fee along with your online application, you may pay it here or use Flywire (click here for instruction). Please note your application will started to be reviewed and processed only after you complete the application fee.
- If you are applying as a freshman, please submit your academic credentials as International Freshman Admissions require.
- If you are applying as a transfer student, please submit your academic credentials as Intenrational Transfer Admissions require.
Complete, official academic record/grades from each secondary schools, colleges, and universities previously attended. Including subjects studied, grades received and a key to the grading system. If an original transcript or mark sheet is difficult to obtain, a copy attested or certified by the school principal, the registrar or controller of examination is acceptable. All documents should be submitted in the original language in which they were issued along with certified translated copies; unless the institution that issues the documents does so in English. All academic documents may be submitted in sealed envelopes directly from the institution. YSU international undergraduate admissions require a minimum grade point average (GPA) of 2.00 based on US 4.00 scale.
6. Evidence of sufficient financial resources to support the student, at least through the first year of studies. Applicants must completely fill out, scan and upload the Affidavit of Financial Support Form as a part of their application. Applicants must scan and upload the necessary supporting documents. Bank statements must be dated within 6 months of the date of application in US dollars. See the Financial Requirements page for detailed information. Please note that NO Certificate Eligibility /I-20 or DS2019 will be issued without evidence of sufficient financial support (these documents are required when applying for an F-1 or J-1 student visa from a US consulate). Students who are admitted on the basis of scanned documents must bring their original Bank Statements to the International Programs Office for verification within their first semester of enrollment.
4. Providing proof of English Proficiency (Optional). Proof of English Proficiency is not required for conditional applicants. However, if you have a English test score taken in the past two years, you are encouraged to submit it. Please check English Proficiency Requirements. YSU institution code is 1975.
Please Note: Official ACT or SAT Test results are required ONLY for students that are first-year (freshman) applying to the Honor's Program, student athletes who must comply with NCAA eligibility requirements, and those who have attended a US high school or secondary school in another country that follows the US high school curriculum.
We strongly recommend that you keep copies of all submitted materials
Your application is considered complete only if you have submitted all of the required materials listed above. It is reasonable to expect 10-14 business days to start the process of your application after it is competed. If you have not received any response after 14 business days, you may email email@example.com to check your application status.
UNDERGRADAUTE ADMISSION DEFERRAL
Students may defer admission one time within one year of acceptance without paying the application fee again. Beyond one year, students have to reapply again.
Students who are admitted for fall semester have to apply for deferral by November 1. Students who are admitted for spring semester have to apply for deferral by June 1.