For Admission to Bachelor and Associate Degree Programs, standardized testing of English language proficiency is waived for applicants educated in English-medium institutions located in countries where English is the primary and official language (see list below). Note: Applicants who have graduated from a U.S. high school or international school that follows the U.S. high school curriculum are exempt from English proficiency testing, but must submit SAT (minimum 910) or ACT (Minimum 17) scores.
International applicants who are not exempt from providing proof of English proficiency must present evidence of proficiency in the English language.
- YSU will accept official English proficiency test scores on the following (YSU institution code is 1975):
- TOEFL iBT (Internet-based TOEFL) 
- TOEFL CBT (Computer-based TOEFL 
- TOEFL PBT (Paper-based TOEFL administered by YSU English Language Institute) 
- IELTS (International English Language Testing System) [6.0 with 5.0 on all subsections]
Test scores over two years old by the beginning of the term you wish to enter are not acceptable unless you have been attending school in the United States since the test date.
Proficiency may also be demonstrated by a letter of certification from the Youngstown State University English Language Institute (ELI)
- Secondary school work in the United States, including completion of the high school curricular requirements for freshman admission.
- Successful completion of 24 semester hours of college-level coursework from an accredited college in the United States, or from an English–medium college or university in another country where English is the official language.
Please have the testing agency send official test scores directly to YSU if they are required for your program of interest (GRE, GMAT, MAT, TOEFL, IELTS, etc.). The institution code is 1975. Unofficial test scores cannot be used for admission purposes.
Official academic credentials and test scores should be sent to:
Youngstown State University
College of Graduate Studies
1 University Plaza
Youngstown, OH 44555
- TOEFL score—A minimum score of 550 on the paper-based test, 213 on the computer-based test, or 79-80 on the Internet-based (IBT) Test of English as a Foreign Language by graduates of foreign universities who are nonnative English speakers. (Scores over two years old by the beginning of the term applicants wish to enter are not acceptable.) Arrange with the Educational Testing Service to have your official TOEFL score sent to our office.
- The College of Graduate Studies will accept the academic version of the IELTS (International English Language Testing System) as an alternative to the TOEFL exam for international students (A score of 6.5 on the IELTS test equates to a 550 on the paper-based TOEFL).
- Proficiency may also be demonstrated by a letter of certification from the Youngstown State University English Language Institute (ELI) stating that the applicant has completed the program of study and is proficient in English at a level appropriate to pursue a graduate degree and present an English language thesis if one is necessary as a degree requirement.
- Prior to full admission to graduate study, students may be tested and placed in special English classes, if necessary, to ensure an adequate level of English proficiency. (Note: Evidence of proficiency is waived for applicants educated in English-speaking countries as defined in the YSU Undergraduate Catalog or for applicants holding U.S. Legal Permanent Residence for one year or for applicants who have successfully completed 24 semester hours of college-level coursework from an accredited English-medium college in the United States or another country where English is the official language.)
* Applicants for undergraduate programs who completed high school or at least 24 semester credit hours (one year of full-time study) and graduate applicants who have completed a degree in certain countries are not required to submit a standardized test score demonstrating English language proficiency.
English proficiency requirements may be waived for applicants from the following countries:
Antigua & Barbuda,
The British Caribbean and British West Indies,
St. Christopher Nevis,
St. Lucia, St. Vincent,
Trinidad & Tobago,
the United State (except Puerto Rico),
Fatal error: Call to a member function validateChildren() on a non-object in /var/www/html/sites/all/libraries/htmlpurifier/library/HTMLPurifier/Strategy/FixNesting.php on line 145