Graduation from Youngstown State University:
Potential graduates must apply for graduation online by the deadlines below. The fee for applying for graduation is $65. Once this deadline has passed, potential graduates will incur a late fee of $38.50 to file for graduation.
Degrees will be awarded 4-6 weeks after commencement and diplomas will be mailed shortly thereafter. If you would like to review the diploma mailing address you provided, please do so on the YSU website: MyYSU, Banner Self Services, Student, Student Records, View Graduation Applications. Please note that Spring and Fall doctoral graduates will receive their diplomas the day of Commencement.
Spring 2017 Application Dates (Commencement Ceremonies will be held Saturday, May 6, 2017):
- First day to apply: Wednesday, November 23, 2016
- Last day to apply without late fee: Friday, February 17, 2017
- Last day to apply with late fee: Monday, April 3, 2017
Summer 2017 Application Dates (Official Graduation Date is Saturday, August 5, 2017; Commencement Ceremonies will be held in May and December):
- First day to apply: Monday, January 9, 2017
- Last day to apply to choose Spring commencement participation: Monday, April 3, 2017
- Last day to apply without late fee: Friday, June 23, 2017
- Last day to apply with late fee: Thursday, July 13, 2017
Fall 2017 Application Dates (Commencement Ceremony will be held Sunday, December 17, 2017):
- First day to apply: Friday, July 28, 2017
- Last day to apply without late fee: Monday, October 2, 2017
- Last day to apply with late fee: Tuesday, November 7, 2017
Spring 2018 Application Dates (Commencement Ceremony will be held Saturday, May 5, 2018):
- First day to apply: Wednesday, November 22, 2017
- Last day to apply without late fee: Friday, February 16, 2018
- Last day to apply with late fee: Monday, April 2, 2018
Instructions on How to Apply for Graduation:
- Login to myYSU Portal from the YSU homepage.
- Select “Student Records” under e-Services for Students.
- Click on the “Student” Tab.
- Click on “Student Records”, then “Apply to Graduate”.
- If you are a graduate student you will be asked about the submission of a thesis or dissertation.
- If you have been cleared to apply for graduation you will be instructed to select a curriculum term.
- Scroll down and click on “Term Selection”, then select your term.
- Click on the radio button to approve your current program.
- Choose your graduation date from the drop down box .
- Choose the appropriate radio button regarding whether you will attend the commencement ceremony.
- Enter your cap and gown information.
- Enter your current email and phone number.
- Enter the name you want on your diploma, it must be your legal name and on file with the YSU Records Office.
- Select an address to mail your diploma.
- Select the graduation fee from the drop down box.
- Verify your information and submit the request.
- Provide payment information.
- Finally select continue to submit and process your application for graduation.
- You will receive a message on the screen that indicates your graduation application has been submitted.
Questions about filing for graduation?
If you have any questions about the procedure for filing for graduation, please call the Record's Office (Jones Hall) at (330)941-3182.
Diplomas are not available at You may also contact the Record's Office at (330) 941-1584 with any diploma mailing questions.
Visit University Commencement at YSU for more information.
Questions about coursework?
If you have any questions or concerns regarding your coursework, please make an appointment with an academic advisor.