Wait Listing is a feature in the PenguinPortal registration system that allows a student to "wait in line" for courses that have reached capacity/closed. Once you have wait listed a course, we automatically send you an email to your YSU account with a notification that a seat has opened and you can register for the wait listed course. Review the instructions below on how to wait list. You may also contact the Penguin Service Center at (330) 941-6000, or the Office of the Registrar at (330) 941-2217 if you need assistance.
Instructions on How to Use Wait Listing:
- Log in to the PenguinPortal.
- Under "e-Services for Students", select "Register for Classes".
- Select the appropriate term, and click the link "Look Up Classes".
- If the class section you would like to take has reached capacity/closed, scroll across the page to see if wait listing is available for this course. If you see numbers below the columns listed as WL Cap, WL Act, and WL Rem, this means there is a waitlist available for this course section. WL Cap stands for Wait List Capacity (lets you know how many students can be on the wait list), WL Act stands for Wait List Actual (lets you know how many students are currently on the wait list), and WL Rem stands for Wait List Remaining (lets you know if you can still add yourself to the wait list).
- Make note of the CRN number for the course, and return to the registration menu.
- Click the link for "Registration and Change of Registration" and add the CRN number in the boxes at the bottom of the page; continue by clicking the "Submit Changes" button.
- The submission will create a "Registration Add Error" with a status indication of "Closed - # Waitlisted". Use the "Action" drop-down menu, and select the "Wait List" option; continue by clicking the "Submit Changes" button.
- Click the "Class Search" button to continue to register for your other classes.
- Return to the registration menu, and click the link for "Student Detail Schedule". The status for each class will indicated the classes for which you are registered versus classes in which you are wait listed and your position in line.
- If a seat becomes available in the wait listed course, a notification is automatically sent to your YSU email. The email lets you know that a seat has become available in the wait listed class, and that you need to register for the class before the stated deadline or the seat will be given to the next student on the wait list.
- To register for the class, return to the registration menu before the deadline stated in your email, and click the link "Registration and Change of Registration". Use the "Action" drop-down menu and select the "**Web Registered**" option, Continue by clicking the "Submit Changes" button and verify the change status.
- If you do not register for the class before the 24 hour deadline in your email, you will be removed from the wait list and must re-register for the class' wait list.
- Should you decide you no longer want to be on the waitlist, please use the "Action" drop-down menu and select the "Web Drop Before 1st Day" option. Continue by clicking the "Submit Changes" button and verify the class is no longer listed under you current schedule.