Homecoming Parade Information
Each year, floats, bands, clowns, fraternities, sororities, student organizations and many others gather on Wood Street and march up Fifth Avenue past the stadium with crowds assembled on both the East and West sides of the street.
YSU’s Student Activities Major Events (S.A.M.E.) Programming Board invites your organization to participate in this year’s Homecoming Parade! It will take place at 4:00 p.m. on Saturday, October 12, followed by the Homecoming football game at 6:00 p.m. The parade is a campus tradition, so your participation will play a vital role to the event’s success! Also, it will be a great opportunity for you to show your school spirit and promote your organization to alumni, current students and the community.
Prizes will be awarded to the first, second and third place float entries as well as three Honorable Mentioned categories. Floats will be judged based on the 25-point rubric provided by the Student Activities Major Events (S.A.M.E.) Programming Board. The cash prizes will be awarded as follows:
1st Place: $3,000
2nd Place: $2,000
3rd Place: $1,000
Honorable Mentioned Trophy Categories:
Most Spirited: Overall enthusiasm and YSU pride.
Most Creative: Creative use of props and decorations.
Best Theme-Oriented: Fully encompasses the Homecoming theme.
Student Activities Major Events (S.A.M.E.) Programming Board has agreed upon the following guidelines, no exceptions will be made. If there is a violation of any these rules you may forfeit the prize money.
Participants must register through Friday, September 27, 2019.
Participants must be a YSU registered student organization and/or a group of registered YSU students.
Registered Student Organization(s) – The organization(s) must submit a roster of all membership as well as the organization’s EIN# in the event that they are awarded a cash prize. The organization also MUST be registered with the Student Activities Office.
Group of Registered Students- If the group of participants is not a YSU registered student organization (e.g. group of residence hall students that live on the same floor), then the names of all students that will be part of the cash prize earnings must be submitted by the September 21 float registration deadline. Additionally, up to 10 students must be designated as the primary recipients if a cash prize is awarded.
*Since the prize value is over $600, the registered student organizations or individuals who win the Homecoming Float prizes will receive 1099 forms from YSU which reflect the value of the prize. This form must then be included when filing taxes for 2019.*
Information for Parade Participants: POLICIES AND GUIDELINES
If you are participating in the 2019 parade, please see the details below. Please call Carrie Anderson, Homecoming Parade Coordinator at 330-941-4702 should you have any questions.
The parade is the highlight of the Homecoming celebration and is an exciting part of the Penguin football season. Here are the details:
- All participants should arrive between 1:00 p.m. and 3:00 p.m. on Saturday, October 12, 2019. The staging area will be OPEN at 1:00 p.m. for ALL parade participants.
- Parade numbers will be distributed during arrival for any floats participating for prizes. These numbers must be displayed prominently on the right front corner of the Parade entry. Units without Parade numbers will not be judged or considered for a participation prize.
- THE PARADE ROUTE FOR THE NINTH CONSECUTIVE YEAR REMAINS THE SAME – WE WILL STAGE ON WOOD STREET AND ALL PARTICIPANTS ARE URGED TO REPORT TO THE WOOD STREET STAGING AREA BY ENTERING “ONLY” FROM WICK AVENUE! Parade attendants will direct participants as to where to line up on the street.
- Judging for floats will take place from 2:30 p.m. to 3:15 p.m. and winners will be based on the rubric provided by the Homecoming Committee; all decisions are final.
- All awards will be presented to the winners prior to the start of the parade.
Note: We realize that not all participants will be participating in the contest.
- NO ONE IS PERMITTED TO THROW CANDY OR OBJECTS FROM THEIR VEHICLES OR FLOATS. PLEASE HAVE SOMEONE WALK BESIDE THE VEHICLE (OR FLOAT) AND “HAND” THOSE ITEMS TO THE INDIVIDUALS ALONG THE PARADE ROUTE.
- NO ONE IS PERMITTED TO HAVE SQUIRT GUNS, FIRE EXTINQUISHERS OR OTHER “LIKE” DEVICES IN THE PARADE
- PLEASE REMEMBER THAT THIS IS A COMMUNITY EVENT, WHERE YOUNG CHILDREN ARE PARTICIPATING. NO MUSIC SHOULD BE PLAYED THAT CONTAINS PROFANITY OR MATERIAL NOT SUITABLE FOR THE GENERAL PUBLIC.
- ABSOLUTELY NO ALCOHOL OR PUBLIC INTOXICATION WILL BE PERMITTED OR TOLERATED! FAILURE TO ADHERE WILL RESULT IN REMOVAL FROM THE PARADE OR IF NECESSARY, POSSIBLE PROSECUTION.
- The parade lineup will begin at approximately 3:30 p.m. The YSU ROTC Color Guard and Ranger Team will lead the parade. At different intervals, participants will be called individually to enter the parade and mix with the floats, bands and cars.
- The parade will exit the staging area onto Fifth Ave. and proceed North past Stambaugh Stadium. At this point, the parade will turn right onto the Eastbound Service Road where the parade will disperse.
- If there is a violation of any these rules you may forfeit the prize money.
Float Judging Rubric/Criteria
A panel of judges will determine the best float entries by using the following criteria. A maximum of 25 points may be earned from each of the judges.
Related to Theme (5 points)
- Does the float represent their chosen decade well?
Overall Appearance (5 points)
- Does the float look appealing?
Craftsmanship (5 points)
- Does the float have a complicated look to it and an obvious amount of effort was put into it?
- How well is the float put together?
Creativity and Originality (5 points)
- Is it something out of the ordinary?
- Is the idea of the float projecting the theme of Homecoming creatively?
- Does it blend the theme and YSU spirit in a unique way?
YSU Penguin Spirit (5 points)
- Does the float incorporate YSU aspects and clearly displays school spirit?
Scoring Rubric Example:
|Theme - Does the float represent their chosen YSU legend well?||Clearly incorporates Homecoming theme||Adequately incorporates Homecoming theme||Somewhat incorporates Homecoming theme||Poorly incorporates Homecoming theme||Does not incorporate Homecoming theme||5 4 3 2 1|
|Overall Appearance - Does the float look appealing?||Excellent public
|Good public appeal||Moderate public appeal||Poor public appeal||No public appeal||5 4 3 2 1|
|Craftsmanship - Does the float have a complicated look to it and an obvious amount of effort was put into it? How well is the float put together?||Excellent craftsmanship||Good craftsmanship||Reasonable craftsmanship||Poor craftsmanship||No craftsmanship||5 4 3 2 1|
|Creativity & Originality - Is it something out of the ordinary? Is the idea of the float projecting the theme of Homecoming creatively? Does it blend the theme and YSU spirit in a unique way?||All participants dress enhances theme High degree of originality||Most participants’ dress enhances
theme Adequate degree of originality
|Some participants’ dress enhances theme Average degree of originality||Few participants’ dress enhances theme Low degree of originality||No participants’ dress enhances theme No originality||5 4 3 2 1|
|Penguin Spirit - Does the float incorporate YSU aspects and clearly displays school spirit?||Clearly celebrates YSU High level of interaction and excitement||Adequately celebrates YSU Good interaction and excitement||Somewhat celebrates YSU Moderate interaction and excitement||Poorly celebrates YSU Very little interaction and excitement||Does not celebrate YSU No interaction and excitement||5 4 3 2 1|