APPLY FOR A BAKE SALE PERMIT AT LEAST TWO (2) WEEKS IN ADVANCE OF THE REQUESTED BAKE SALE DATE. BAKE SALES ARE HELD BEFORE 5:00 P.M. ON WEEKDAYS. WEEKEND HOURS BY SPECIAL PERMISSION ONLY.
- Bake sales may only be held in the area assigned to your organization by the Office of University Events, located in Tod Hall on the 1st Floor (Ext. 2962).
- Only one permit will be issued by the Department of Environmental and Occupational Health and Safety for the entire semester. Retain this permit and post it at the beginning of each bake sale held during the semester (it is to be displayed at all times during the operation of each bake sale). Your organization will be notified when your permit is ready to be picked up in Room 2303, Cushwa Hall. Please be sure that bake sales start at the time stated on your approval form.
- All bake sales will be subject to inspection by the Department of Environmental and Occupational Health and Safety.
- The following foods may not be sold:
- food containing meats, fish or poultry;
- food containing cheese, dairy products or rice (examples - pizza, cheesecake, yogurt or ice cream, pastries containing cream fillings made from milk);
- food requiring refrigeration or warming. There are no exceptions to this policy.
- Cover all bake sale goods with wax paper, saran wrap or other suitable covering to protect from dirt, insects or other vermin. This does not include fruit or other food that would normally be washed before eating.
- Use napkins, tongs, plastic gloves or other suitable food handling utensils. Patrons may not serve themselves.
- Keep tables clean. A paper or plastic tablecloth is preferred but not required.
- Heating, warming or refrigeration devices are prohibited; however coffee pots are permitted. Inspect cords to assure that they are not frayed or present an electrical hazard. Do not extend cords across the floor where they may become a trip hazard.
- When serving coffee use cups which are approved for hot beverages. Store cups upside down.
- Use only non-dairy creamer which does not require refrigeration.
- Subscribe to acceptable personal hygiene. Wash hands periodically.
- Individuals with a known communicable disease (examples - cold or flu) should not be permitted to work in the food service area.
- If a bake sale is canceled, contact the Office of University Events at Ext. 2962 and the Department of Environmental and Occupational Health and Safety at Ext. 3700.
Complying with the above regulations is required in order to conduct a bake sale on the campus of Youngstown State University. Please contact the Department of Environmental and Occupational Health and Safety (ext. 3700) if you have any questions or concerns.