Our Mission for Students
The Mathematics Assistance Center is an academic support service which is integrated with the Department of Mathematics & Statistics. Our mission is to assist YSU students in the strengthening of the fundamental mathematics skills which are necessary for success in the study of mathematics and to provide resource materials for independent study.
Fall Semester & COVID-19
The Math Assistance Center has made many changes this semester in response to the COVID-19 pandemic in order to keep students and our staff safe. Please read the following list of changes carefully. This allows us to better serve you while maintaining a safe and healthy learning environment.
- APPOINTMENT ONLY! WALK-IN TUTORING IS NO LONGER AVAILABLE
- NO FOOD IS PERMITTED. ALL DRINKS REQUIRE A LID THAT SEALS
Although walk-in tutoring is no longer permitted at the Math Assistance Center, in-person tutoring is still available by appointment.
- The MAC will be offering in-person sessions with a tutor. These are 50 minute sessions where you can specifically work with a tutor. Not necessarily one on one but with a group size of no more than three to allow for social distancing.
- Students may schedule these sessions by stopping into the MAC and speaking with the front desk or by using the scheduling link.
- We will also allow students to a 50 minute independent working session at a computer where they can work independently but there will be a tutor available to answer questions if they need.
- Textbooks will be available via an iPad in each room with PDF versions available.
All sessions are 50 minutes and students will be asked to leave at 10 minutes to the hour so that we can disinfect all surfaces.
Schedule an In-Person Appointment *Beginning August 24th
Online Tutoring & Drop-in Question Board
- Online appointments which must be scheduled 24 hours in advance. Students will be able to schedule session here or by stopping into the MAC and speaking with the front desk attendant.
- A drop-in question board is available for each of our main areas, including College Algebra, Trigonometry, Calc, Statistics and Quantitative Reasoning. These rooms are intended for quick questions only! These link directly to an online video meeting with a chat board for posting questions. *Monitored by a tutor during hours of operation.
- Drop-In Question Boards are ONLY AVAILABLE 9-5 MONDAY - THURSDAY & 9-3 FRIDAY! You MUST use your YSU EMAIL!
Schedule an Online Appointment *Now Available!
We offer a number of services for students here at Youngstown State University. Below is a collection of a few key services the Math Assistance Center has to ensure your success in mathematics.
How Can We Help You?
Use the navigation bar at the top of the page to locate the information or resources you're looking for. For example, students should head over to the student page, which includes useful math resources and review sheets. Staff and faculty members will also find all the appropriate information on each of their respective pages.
Join Our Team
The Mathematics Assistance Center provides an opportunity for on-campus employment. By working in the MAC you will earn money to help pay for your education, sharpen your mathematical skills, make new friends and enhance your resume. Also, student employees are permitted to register for classes before other students.
How Are We Doing?
Have you visited the Math Assistance Center this semester? Click the button below to fill out a survey and let us know how we did!
LINCOLN BUILDING: 4TH Floor, Room 408
HOURS OF OPERATION
FALL 2020 HOURS: Starting Monday, Aug 24th
MONDAY - THURSDAY: 9 AM - 5 PM
FRIDAY: 9 AM - 3 PM
PHONE: (330) 941-3274